Alternator fail - no battery warning light?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Alternator fail - no battery warning light?

Post by Gavin207 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm

I've been using the TF a lot recently without any problems until today.  Last week on the way home the battery charging light came on.  Pulled over to check the alternator belt was OK, left the engine running, and when I got back into the car the light had gone out.

Used the car over the weekend for a short journey,  no issues.

Went to use the car today, all appeared OK, but got a mile down the road and the car started shutting down, warning lights coming on and the power steering stopped working, but not the battery charging light. Coaxed the car home.  So I'm assuming the alternator has packed up  but if so why did the battery warning light not come on again, after the initial time last week?
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Roverdrive
MGF Register Region: North East

Re: Alternator fail - no battery warning light?

Post by Roverdrive » Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Does it start OK?

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Could be a few things. I am assuming charging light comes when you turn ignition on and goes off when you start car. (If not, bulb blown :D easy fix) On some cars you need a working warning light to excite the alternator field to start charging, so no warning light when ignition is on may mean no charge when car starts, and no warning light if bulb is blown.

The diode pack in alternator may have gone bad, current not flowing to battery but enough volts to turn light out.

Poor connection on alternator big +ve cable so little charge to battery but enough to turn light out.

Poor earth , battery and/ or alternator.

Internal fault in alternator.

Duff Battery can cause weird things.

Go for cheapest first, check all your cable connections are clean and tight. Then time to get a multimeter out.

Cheers, Mark

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Battery is fairly new ( and a replacement from ECP for a duff battery). So, battery charged sufficiently to get all lamps illuminated and start the car. However, with ignition ON the battery warning lamp isn't illuminated, so next stage us to check the lamp. Also, with engine running only 11.26v across the battery, so I assume alternator not charging.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 pm

In that case of new battery/11.26V I'd be inclined to check the battery earth strap is connecting well at the front first, then take out the alternator (check + clean connections in the m/plug too) and replace it with a used part from one of our excellent parts recyclers.

When that finally wears out - and it may be a long time - replace with new. Substitution will give a quick result and may even be an immediate fix for a minimal outlay.

I've found our recyclers are concerned to offer the very best tested parts and are very mindful of their reputation.

ps I discovered that the m/plug had melted out of shape somehow on my previous '05 TF so I reckon the alternator's got to come out, at least...

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm

So, checked battery warning lamp, appears ok, continuity through it. Next check the voltage again with the engine running and only getting 11.55v with engine running and revving it. Alternator off, anyone know any checks i can make?
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 am

Disconnect the battery and charge it then recheck the voltage.
Geoff.F

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed May 12, 2021 10:55 am

Geoff.F wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 am
Disconnect the battery and charge it then recheck the voltage.
Geoff.F
Agree, 1st step.

Then, have you checked connections as ArntyR said above at the earthing strap at the battery end and alternator? Don't forget the engine and battery are at at opposite ends of the car and "dodgy" connections can only add to an existing voltage drop. Don't forget earth connections from the engine block to the body as well. If all ok, it is worth checking from time to time anyway as the charging system is vulnerable to cable connection "ageing" with such a long separation of battery to alternator :geek:

If the battery checks out ok, and all the extra connection checks are made, then you can assume it is the alternator. Drive belt ok?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Battery charged, alternator taken off and inspected, no obvious damage etc. Alternator back on, connector sprayed with switch cleaner, all back together, additional earth run from battery to Alternator body using a set of jump leads, car started, 11.5v at battery, 11.5v between alternator feed terminal and body of alternator, so can only assume alternator duff.

Two questions:

Why isn't the battery warning light illuminating- is this fed from the alternator diode or something?

Where to get a replacement alternator, Rimmer do an original mg one but it looks cheap compared with a bosch from eurocarparts?

An alternative suggestion I've had is to change the alternator regulator as it is likely this is the damaged part, and I suspect if the damage is any more than this then I may not get the deposit back on an excganger unit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252421838608
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 am

If the battery warning light doesn’t come on when the ignition is turned on just before starting the engine then the issue is with the alternator regulator/diode pack.

The one on my TF failed a few days before moving house so I needed to get the car mobile and exchanged the alternator at a local motor factors.

However if it happened now I would check that the bearings on the alternator are OK and if they are I would buy a new pack as listed. You may find it cheaper to go directly to MG Mania. http://mgmanialtd.com/index.php?id_prod ... er=product

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu May 13, 2021 10:22 am

A good charged battery should give a voltage of 12.5 + Volts. At 11.5 then you have a failed cell
Geoff.F

Note. That is not to say that the Alternator has not been damaged due to the battery. Your local vehicle Electrics shop (not Halfords) should have a rig to run the alternator to test it and perhaps fix it.
My local shop is in Earlsdon, Coventry.

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:50 pm

So, tested the ignition warning light by turning the ignition on, no warning light, earthed the brown and yellow wire on the alternator plug and it came on, so all OK at that end. Also checked the 40A fuse on the alternator feed which is also OK. So pretty sure the problem is the alternator regulator so got one on the way.

Battery is OK, the voltage was only low because I hadn't fully charged it ( I reckon I did 25 miles at least after the alternator failed before it became apparent it wasn't charging).
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm

I have a brand new alternator that I bought when I thought mine had failed, but turned out it wasn't faulty it was the ignition ring. Happy to sell as it's just sat in the box on the shelf if you do need a new alternator.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Nigel thanks for the offer, regulator arrived from MG Mania today, fitted to Alternator, all back together and working fine, ignition light coming on with ignition and going out when running, battery charging.

All's right with the world 😀
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Fri May 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Now that's a good result - and made more so by your feedback :thumbsu:

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri May 14, 2021 8:18 pm

Gavin207 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:40 pm
Nigel thanks for the offer, regulator arrived from MG Mania today, fitted to Alternator, all back together and working fine, ignition light coming on with ignition and going out when running, battery charging.

All's right with the world 😀

Glad it's sorted :thumbsu:
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 pm

To summarise what I've learnt, if your alternator isn't charging and your ignition light isn't coming on, these are the steps:

1.  check the 40A fuse on the bulkhead 
2. Check fuse 25
3. Disconnect plug from alternator and with ignition 'on' ground the brown and yellow wire in the plug, if the light doesn't come on check the lamp in the dash, if the battery charging light does comes on when you do this the fault is with the alternator,

The most likely fault on the alternator is a failed regulator and these can be bought for around £35 and are easy to fit.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978