Extra (and nuisance) bracket on front bumper cover

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Extra (and nuisance) bracket on front bumper cover

Post by Fraser » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am

Hi
My very late MG TF built by MG Motor has an additional fastening at the middle-bottom of the front bumper cover. This has a lip with two screws securing the cover to a bracket bolted on at the other end to the front of the body. The two screws have their heads facing rearwards and are an absolute PAIN to get to, yet there is no mention of this fixing in my copy of the workshop manual. The manual is by MG Rover, so it seems the new owners decided, when re-introducing the TF to the UK, to place this bracket and fixing, but told nobody about it.
I'm keen to know why, as I would prefer to just leave it off, but is it possibly there for a reason, like vibration or cracking ?

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Re: Extra (and nuisance) bracket on front bumper cover

Post by ArntyR » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:12 pm

_DSF3220.jpg

This help? A different view...(All this black-paint stuff that you can't see behind the bumper gets a bit shabby :()

This looks like an extra support, perhaps to cure vibration...

And, yes, after a couple of years ownership I'm still finding that these SAIC TFs have many 'enhancements'; some good (eg HG) and some not so good (eg EKA or no EKA?).

There's little information. It seems if you've previously owned an MGR TF you get to discover the differences the hard way, and if you haven't you don't miss what you never knew you had :(. I hope other SAIC owners will continue to share any anomalies they find.
Last edited by ArntyR on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:38 pm

An Update
Well, finally removed bumper today, and replaced the lower grill, and a heavily rusted security cover over the bonnet latch. This latter item was in incredibly bad condition, yet everywhere else, no rust at all ! It just shows how badly painted some items can be. I have put on a load of extra paint and zinc-rich primer on the new one, and used Waxoyl as well !

As for the unknown lower bracket, I was able, with the help of my son-in-law, to finally remove the plastic plug/screws only to find the bracket itself is plastic ! Certainly without this bracket the lower edge of the bumper is very loose and wobbly, so I have put everything back as it was, but with the plug/screws in the right way this time. Removing the side screws to wing and wheel arch covers is quite a PITA too, probably much easier with wheels off and cover removed, but we managed anyway. A bit of grease made putting these back much easier.

Friday it's the turn of the rear bumper to get a new grill..........

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm

I don't think this bracket is "new", I've got one which looks very similar on my 02 TF. My thoughts are that it is indeed a stiffener for the flat part of the spoiler, along with the lip as part of the aero package which was an attempt to minimise lift at the front end.
My bracket is in metal, so plastic is probably lighter and rust free.
It's not really a problem to get off, as you found out you don't need a workshop manual to get a few small nuts and bolts off ;)
If you progress deeper into MG TF , you find lots of things like this not mentioned, like the engine and assorted ancillaries assembled on the subframe before dropping the body over the assembled unit. Some bolts won't come out as they hit the bodywork, so a padsaw and new bolts put back in "your" way :roll:
It's all part of the "fun" :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:21 pm

Did the rear bumper grill a few days ago, (or is it a "diffuser" ?). No problems at all except for a very rusty grill and one very rusty securing screw that would not come loose so I cut the tab off the bumper, The grill is now held on by one less screw, and these are now well waxoyled ! The new grill is stainless steel, but to make it look original, I had it powder coated gloss black.

So all in all, the car is now looking very nice for MGF25 at Gaydon on Saturday, although the weather looks as if it will give us a drenching !