standard air filter model change

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

standard air filter model change

Post by RobboMC » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:02 am

I have had problems sourcing a standard air filter for my 1998 model year F - 120 PS MPi - with original air box.

Here's a quick snap of the old one and the larger new one I was supplied by the local industry.
air filters.jpg

So my filter is 267 x 108 x 65 ( if you include the layer of fluff on the top ) I found a match to MANN C2774/1, a nice German company. :thumbsu:

The other filter (Ryco A1682 ) is 294 x 142 x 49 and is ( I assume ) the correct fitment for a 135 PS or 143 PS VVC.

My question is: when did the model change to the bigger filter?

Is it as simple as the TF in 2002, or did the VVC F and/or Trophy F have this larger filter prior to 2002?

I am now the model rep for the Sydney MGCC and I plan to harass the parts supply industry here until the little anomaly gets fixed up.
One supplier just offers 3 different filters for all F/TF enquiries and you choose your filter!

Rimmers show the model change as:

Application-MGF VIN YD522573 on, MG TF

From memory, I got a filter originally from B&G and a second replacement from the Sydney MG Centre. This is the first time I've gone to the parts industry.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Re: standard air filter model change

Post by Steve White » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:03 pm

I believe the change to the larger filter and airbox coincided with the introduction of MEMS3 in 2001.
Certainly the MGF trophy uses the larger filter, as does our 2001 MPi Mk2 F, which is MEMS3.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: standard air filter model change

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Yes, I think you're right Steve :) MGF 160 also had an extra air intake, shared, I think, with all TF models. That'd be the one I'd go for.

BTW, the larger filter housing will not fit on the early airbox mounting - you'll need the mounting bracket along with the airbox itself :)