AP racing calipers under standard wheels without spacers... pure madness!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

AP racing calipers under standard wheels without spacers... pure madness!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:13 pm

I have started a new thread on this because the original post was at the end of a completely different thread about painting the calipers on my other MGF! :lol:

A bit more technical this one, so better put here on the technical forum! :thumbsu:

The big idea
This brake upgrade is about a number of things. Partly, and I can't deny it, it is aesthetic. Who doesn't like the look of AP 4-pot calipers on large diameter brake rotors? No one, that's who. But there are other "man maths" concepts at play here. One of the principle drivers is that the AP calipers weigh less than the standard Lucas Girling sliding calipers that are doing a perfectly satisfactory job on Project Shed at the moment. Combined with 280mm rotors, I have yet to experience any issues with brake fade. Saving a kilo or two of unsprung weight is no bad thing IMO. However, the standard AP set up mandates either specific wheels or spacers. With spacers one starts to have concerns regarding thread engagement and therefore safety, although the wheel studs can be replaced with longer items. But it could be a bit of a pain, but what about changing the standard MG AP racing caliper from lug mount to radial? That would open a huge range of alternate fitting options - and this is what I am enaged with at the moment, with the plan to try and enable the AP race set up with any wheel without the need for spacers. The catalyst for this was buying a pair of calipers that someone had crudely cut up already!

Background

As it turns out, this idea is not quite as crazy as it seems - see below is a very similar AP CP6607 - see the radial mounts - and how this can be adapted to suit the "modified" caliper I purchased:

A little more digging provides the equivalent AP part number for the MG 4-pots - it is a CP7601-17SORD, and the rebuild parts for it are available from AP distributors if you use the CP7601 caliper part number. In general, the CP7600 series calipers are matched to 295mm rotors, so I am hoping I can retain the 280mm rotors on Project Shed. But if I need to swap over to 295mmx24mm rotors, that would not be a big deal.

Progress so far

The slow-burn AP brake project is making progress. I sent the manky calipers shown in the photos above to BG Developments after a thorough clean and along with a spare front hub carrier, so that they had all the physical components to work out how to make a suitable adapter. With the ready availability of 3D printing these days, prototypes can be made very quickly and cheaply. :)

I was sent some prototype 3D printed parts just before Christmas and I played with these on a TF front subframe that I will be refurbishing. The parts permit the caliper to the spaced to suit either the 280mm rotor that I currently have on Project Shed, or the 295mm rotor that is the more natural compliment to this caliper (and actually is the same diameter rotor used on the MGF Cup cars).

Here's what the parts look like fitted up, along with a new radial mount AP caliper that I shall return to BGD when the prototype work is complete:

Note also the 3D printed spacer on the hub - this is to mimic the material thickness of the rotor bell/ top hat that will be used when it the project work is finally finished and ensures that the wheel fits as it should so as to correctly assess clearances with the different styles of wheel.

Fitting up a freshly refurbished and straightened ULW - a 16" wheel that was designed from the outset to be used with the AP caliper, there is no surprises there that the rotor fits perfectly (and looks resplendent!):

Equally encouraging was the masses of clearance this wheel design offers - at least 10mm to the spokes:

Things then get complicated. Project Shed currently has a set of 16" Abingdon (aka MGF Cup) wheels - so I offered up a spare rim to the hub:

Looks okay from a distance, but it fouls the inner edge of the wheel spokes, particularly where the spokes curve inward towards the centre of the wheel where they meet the mounting boss:

This wheel would still need at least 5-7mm of spacing to get the the 295mm rotor to fit with sufficient clearance for the caliper - although ironically, the wheel *almost* clears the caliper if the caliper is spaced out to match a 304mm rotor!

Based on this, I didn't have high hopes of clearing the 15" wheel:

Good news, bad news. Good news is that the caliper actually fits within the 15" 5-spoke VVC rim, even with the caliper spaced out to suit a 295mm diameter rotor! The bad news is that the caliper severely fouls the inner face of the spokes. As in "this wheel will need more than a 10mm spacer" fouling of the caliper... May be 15mm. :o I couldn't even get the second wheel nut on!

Conclusion
The caliper in the 295 and 280mm rotor positions clear the ULW wheel comfortably - perhaps no great surprise as the wheel was designed to clear the AP racing brakes from the outset - albeit with a different rotor offset and with a 304mm rotor diameter. As I'll be likely swapping Project Shed over to these wheels (because they are usefully lighter per corner than the current wheels and therefore further reduce un-sprung weight), I could just go with this prototype solution right now and run with it! However, this would be a fail on the "make the brakes clear many different wheel designs" ethos of the project.

16" Abingdon/ MGF Cup wheels foul the caliper in the 295mm position - and that interference would only increase if the rotor diameter were reduced to 280mm. However, modifications to the caliper mounting bracket would be fairly minimal, with a change of caliper offset inwards of about 5-7mm. Even 280mm could be accommodated if needed, albeit with a deeper rotor bell housing.

15" VVC style alloys could accommodate the AP racing 295mm set up, but this would require an even deeper rotor bell and caliper offset. However, this would be potentially do-able I think...

Plan
Not quite sure which way to go. Here are my thoughts so far:
  1. I don't want to go with the full-sized 304mm rotors because of (1) weight and (2) the limitations it places on wheel options.
  2. Ideally, I would go for 280mm rotors because of weight, but this would necessitate a much deeper bell (or top hat) for the rotor for all wheel styles bar the ULW tested.
  3. 295mm rotors are the ideal size for the MG AP rotors, so for purity and increased front leverage, this would be a good option - but even if using a 295mm rotor, I would still need a different offset rotor bell/ top hat. However, any option other than the ULW-mandating current set up would necessitate this anyway!
  4. If I ever wanted to drop to a 15" wheel diameter (cheaper track day tyres for this rim diameter with arguably better availability in suitable sizes), then 295mm with the AP caliper appears to offer the best chance of working with the 15" VVC wheel style.
  5. If going to 295mm front rotors, I think I would need to consider the knock on impact of altering the balance of the car's braking and the need to upgrade the rear brake arrangement in parallel (perhaps also to 295mm? perhaps also change the rear caliper? - all these are adding £££s to the original project budget, not to mention the associated "project creep" that this would provoke).
  6. How likely am I to go down the 15" rim route given that the ULW 16" is actually (paradoxically) so much lighter than the 15" wheel design?
I need to know what the cost implication will be for the deeper rotor bell/ top hat - and perhaps based on that, make a decision.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else considering fitting AP racing brakes but under a 15" wheel or one of the many 16" wheel styles that are non-compatible with the standard AP brakes? Remember that what I am working on is a long way away from being a simple bolt on option with the standard AP racing calipers and would necessitate conversion to radial mount calipers - an option I doubt that many would be prepared to make?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Re: AP racing calipers under standard wheels without spacers... pure madness!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:21 pm

PS Why am I bothering to try and get other wheels to fit over AP brakes? Mainly to give more options in terms of tyres (may be I will one day become so nerdy as to have a spare set of "wets"!) and to have spare wheels and not have to worry so much about what wheels I would need to use to ensure that I can fit them to the car!

Quite an engineering project and one that is probably largely unnecessary, but fun nonetheless. :) I'll keep you all posted :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 pm

PPS thoughts are now either with 295mm rotors all round or 304mm rotors all round... ;)

I'd prefer 295mm, as less weight and would be "true" to the original MGF Cup cars, that used 295mm AP racing brakes front and rear - but we shall see...

Crash Dummy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Post by Crash Dummy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:24 pm

I've been wondering for a while about the AP calipers upgrade. I would like to get more initial bite from the brakes. My 75th anniversary VVC has 16" wheels, but do you (or anyone) know if they fit with the AP calipers, or potentially would fit with your modified radial mount setup? :sf:

Thanks

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Depends on your wheels. If they are already a 11-spoke design, then they'll fit no problem. Any other design and you'd at a minimum need wheel to hub spacers. You may have the multi-spoke design? If so, I gather a 5mm spacer is all that is needed to get the standard AP calipers and front discs to fit. I've not tried this myself however.

My plans with the radial mounting is certainly not an economic option - I had the AP calipers cheap because someone already had a go chopping them up :lol: You would almost certainly be better off with the standard arrangement, unless you're wierd like me. I suspect sourcing a set of 11-spoke wheels (be they MGF Trophy or TF 160 items) would be cheaper than going down the route I am embarking on.

BTW, fitting AP racing front brakes will alter the mechanical braking ratio front to rear. The factory didn't seem to care much about this, but I'd go for larger rear discs as well if you can. The rear calipers were off the Rover 800 and were designed for 266mm rear discs, but will work fine with 280mm. I may see how the rear caliper does over larger discs (the rear caliper only has small pads), so this will prove interesting!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:06 pm

PS I really like the look of the 15" wheels with the AP calipers! But amazingly, the 15" alloy styles from factory are heavier than the 16" Abingdon/Cup allloys currently on the car, which in turn are a fair bit heavier than the ULWs - but ULWs are as rare as hen's teeth. So obviously, I happen to have two sets :lol:

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:59 pm

Can I ask what your thoughts are on my set up with spacers?
I have AP front calipers under 11 spokes already and was wondering if a std 3mm or 5mm spacer would fit under this set up? The spacers are inexpensive on the bay of e! My rears are normal calipers and I wanted to "fill out" the rear stance for a slightly asthetic look as well as widening the rear track..any thoughts or opinions on if it's ok to do will be appreciated before I spend any cash 👍😉
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm

You should be okay with a 3 or 5mm aftermarket spacer - the wheel should still locate on the centre bore and their should be enough thread engagement on the wheel lugs. Others have fitted this size of spacer to other wheels without problem. But for me, I would be tempted to change over the wheel studs to longer versions if possible if going down that route. :)

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm
You should be okay with a 3 or 5mm aftermarket spacer - the wheel should still locate on the centre bore and their should be enough thread engagement on the wheel lugs. Others have fitted this size of spacer to other wheels without problem. But for me, I would be tempted to change over the wheel studs to longer versions if possible if going down that route. :)
[/quote

Thanks Rob..its good to know that it would be ok to go ahead with this, you mention longer studs can you point me in the right direction please? 😉👍

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:51 pm

Thanks Rob..can you lead me to the extended studs you mention? Cheers :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:58 pm

I'd have to measure up, but there is a good selection of wheel studs on the bay of fleas. I'm guessing ours are M14, they have splines and are knocked into the hub flange. :)

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Ok thanks Rob would appreciate any links you can come up with 😉

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:18 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Wheel-St ... 1129711216?

Found these Rob..would they be ok to use with 15mm hub centric spacers? They are the same size as originals but 63mm instead of 47 mm long?
I'm thinking 15mm on the rears and 5mm on the front with fronts using the standard studs. Any thoughts gratefully received !

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:50 pm

16mm of extra thread length should be plenty! Apologies, I have not had time to measure the standard wheel studs yet :oops:

You'll need to know the shoulder length and the diameter of the splined section and its depth.

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Any progress on this Rob? Want another set of wheels for the race car for wets (rain sports) and the only thing I can think of at a reasonable weight is Abingdons I don't think I will have the option of getting another set of 15" TD Pro Race 1.2s. How much of a clearance problem was there?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:55 pm

This has been a really slow burn project, but it is nearly there. :)

With standard AP brakes, the caliper fouls the inside of the Abingdon style wheels badly - you need a massive spacer to get clearance. With the arrangement I have now, the caliper clears the Abingdon easily - and in fact, with a small spacer, even fits comfortably inside a 15" VVC 5-spoke! :D

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:01 pm

So just been out the measure how from from the disc face the outside of caliper sits and it's 50mm. What were was the measurement for you APs?
Attachments
20160819_165817.jpg
20160819_165719.jpg
20160516_155448.jpg

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:17 pm

So Rob, I've been out and got a proper set of measurements. Did you measure the height from the wheel mounting face to the caliper?
Attachments
362516209_6633289393383134_3796551448184423042_n.jpg
362516209_6633289393383134_3796551448184423042_n.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
362662191_6633288850049855_21450940482460785_n.jpg
362662191_6633288850049855_21450940482460785_n.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
362656796_6633289156716491_4269031810004489299_n.jpg
362656796_6633289156716491_4269031810004489299_n.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 6557 times

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:10 pm

More info for you Rob, these would be a cheap disc option, but to run the APs you would need 24mm not 22mm. But they would be fine for me with my HiSpec set up. Currently with 285 discs I need to use a 5mm spacer for Abingdons.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192787656610

https://www.facebook.com/jason.lappin/v ... &ref=notif