Tyres F

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Tyres F

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:44 pm

I am asking for a friend, which tyres are being recomended for a standard F, 15". car is driven in a spirited mode but not track. Toyo tyres are fitted but worn out.
I 'm out of touch as I have 16's and track day tyres
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Tyres F

Post by talkingcars » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:36 pm

I like the Toyo TR1.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:36 am

Not massively keen on Toyo's on track - my preference would be the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (I don't think the excellent PS4 can be had in 15" sizes - or even in a useful 16" size either sadly).

Have PS3s on mine - very pleased with them so far!

RobboMC
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:23 am

In Australia we don't have a great range of choices.

If you want the 185/205 front - rear combination that is standard OEM then the only choices are Falken, Nexen or Yokohama.

I have Falken's and they are excellent and I sometimes drive in a very spirited fashion :lol:

The Yokohama are pretty much a track day tyre and are twice the price.

Last time I looked the Toyo 185/55 VR15 was not available down here
and the PS3 isn't available in 205/50 VR15.

I have no in formation on the Nexen brand but personally I did not choose it.

I found the car noticeably more stable when cornering after I moved to the 185/205 front rear combination
from the 195's all round that came with the car and I recommend getting the correct front/rear sizes.

I recommend the Falken ZE914 for everyday and enthusiastic MGF motoring.
I would love to get a car onto Yokohama's but you will need deep pockets!

I've just been for a trip through the Snowy Mountains and I gave them a thorough beating with no problems.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:26 am

I will also add that I have found the Yokohama C Drive tyres to be excellent on some other cars,
but sadly it only comes in 195/50 VR 15 as well as the front size. Not as good an option as the Falken's
but still an option, with the rears slightly narrower than OEM. I truly wish Yokohama would make the C Drive in 205/50 VR 15.

Yokohama made these tyre sizes for the Toyota MR2 in 2000 but have since stopped importing these sizes.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 am

Thanks everyone, As we cant get Toyo T!R's i suggested the Falkens
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:26 am

I don't know if it is different in Aus but the well liked Falken ziex ZE914s have now been replaced here with ZE310s which have a similar looking tread. However the equally well liked Toyo Proxes T1R were replaced around the same time by TR1 which look nothing like their predecessor. After several sets of T1R I don't feel as comfortable with my first set of TR1.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:29 am

As usual things never stay the same, I have found today Yokohama have 'Advan Fleva V701' offered in both 185 and 205 sizes.

I've found in the past the Yokohama brand tend to wear faster but for a low mileage fun car these would be a great choice.

I expect they will offer better grip than the Falken.