Oil Temperature Gauge Black face

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Richard Withington
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Oil Temperature Gauge Black face

Post by Richard Withington » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:05 pm

I have recently purchased a 2012 registered TF. The oil temperature gauge is plainly faulty as the needle fluctuates and can move as a result of tapping on the glass face.
I am seeking a replacement but so far have not found one with a black face to match the other instruments. If anyone knows of one please advise.
The part no.is 400000438, Rimmers advise it is NLA.
Alternatively, I am looking at buying another gauge and changing the face with my original. Anyone done this and is it easy?
Richard

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Oil Temperature Gauge Black face

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 pm

It is fairly easy to change the face. You have to carefully prise the metal away where it is folded over the glass, pull the needle off and then the face just peels off as it is adhesive. I had to do similar as the oil temp gauge was missing on my ex-MG Motors 85th and I could only get a gauge with a silver face and bought a new black dial and swapped them over.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:40 am

Long shot - but you might be lucky
If the needle moves when tapping the glass, it might just have come loose on the spindle :roll:

Do as suggested and carefully remove the bezel and glass and see if the needle really has just come loose. If so, zero as best as you can and re-assemble.
The oil temperature gauges seem to have gone through various stages - don't forget that it is at best just an indication and most probably not accurate. If the needle gets to register again, and if you very nerdy, you could "calibrate" the reading if you could read the temperature at source at the oil filter housing with say an infra red thermometer and re-position the needle.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

A 2012 TF would also be known as a LE500 and has marked differences to the pre 2006 TF.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Richard Withington

Post by Richard Withington » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 am

Thanks Nigel,
Can you advise source of new black face ?
BTW I thought LE 500 referred to model with hardtop, air con etc. Mine is 'Chinese' model.

Richard

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:11 am

Regarding the LE500 model designation, you're right, it does - but all NAC/SAIC era TFs are essentially the same, bar a few detail trim differences.

No idea regarding a source of black instrument faces - hopefully Nigel can help with that question! :)

Richard Withington

Post by Richard Withington » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Nigel has kindly responded. Available from Rimmers and Brown & Gammons under part number ZUA000981BLK.
Much obliged to him.
Richard

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:09 am

:thumbsu: