Baffling. PAS on, then off. Pull 70 AMP fuse out and in. PAS back

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MarkB
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 2001

Post by MarkB » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Weirdest issue I have had on an MGF, wondered if anyone else can throw some much-needed light on the issue.

First 2.4 miles (checked it each time) the PAS is fine and then without warning (apart from the red PAS light) power steering goes. Pop the bonnet, pull out the 70 AMP fuse (which has never blown). Put it in again and PAS returns for 2.4 miles. Happens every time continuous diving. Can do as many miles as you like under 2,4 miles. Baffling …

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Re: Baffling. PAS on, then off. Pull 70 AMP fuse out and in. PAS back

Post by Deepfat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Only had my TF for a year so don't know a lot but your post intrigued me and I did a go ogle search and came across this,
"The power steering receives its signal from the speedo, so broken speedo cable means no power steering.
By removing and replacing the fuse you will reset the power steering. It will work for a short while until it recognises that there is no signal from the speedo"
I think your late F doesn't have a speedo cable but maybe it's still not receiving the signal, how it receives the signal I have no idea (anyone?) via the ECU?
I suggest you need someone with pscan or T4 to have a look for the speedo signal to discount/confirm it as the cause.

MarkB
Model of Car: MGF 2001

Post by MarkB » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to actually discover the problem. This issue is on a MK1

After reading your reply I looked online inc 'speedometer' in the search string and sure enough therein lies the problem.

To confirm this the speedometer started fluctuating all over the place about a month ago & finally stopped working.

I would never have connected the two so thank you again. I also found this link in the search from Rob on 'how to' replace the lower cable.
http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/Sp ... /index.htm

I will have a look asap to find where in the cable the issue is. I am assuming there is an upper and lower connecting in the middle. :thumbsu:

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:30 pm

Thanks for coming back, I'm glad to help as I ask often enough for help myself.
I had a look at the link the cable is in 3 parts, hope you hit the right one first time, good luck and let us know, we all like a happy ending.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:29 pm

A friend had a similar problem to what you described and discovered that the issue was with the EPAS control unit, which is located on the passenger side behind the airbag (or where it would be, depending if your F has a passenger air bag or not).
Mark

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:38 pm

Mk 1 F have a cable, mk2 onwards have a digital speedo using an electrical pulse from a sender on the gearbox. If your car has a LCD display for the milometer then it has a digital speedo.

The PAS ECU gets a pulse signal from the speedo regardless of the drive to the speedo.

Early MGF had a 2 piece cable, later cars have a 3 piece cable. The most common section to fail is the short one by the gearbox. It is possible to make a short inner cable from a longer inner cable by cutting it to length and filling the end to a square profile.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com