Odd engine idle behavior

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Andy E
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF

Odd engine idle behavior

Post by Andy E » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:40 pm

Hello. Ref my1997 MGF MPI.

On a recent drive to the MOT station the engine idle became very erratic. Idle speed varied between 900 and about 2500 rpm but thankfully the fault cleared by the time I got to the testing station. The trip home was fault free as have been a few other drive outs since then. On other occasions the idle has varied between about 900 and 1300 rpm. A TPS reset made no difference.

Yesterday morning I started the engine and it went straight to 2000rpm. I shut it down and restarted it and the same thing happened. I shut it down without letting the engine get warm. This morning I started it and it went straight to a normal approximate 1300 rpm and everything seemed fine as the engine got to temperature and the idle settled at about 900 rpm.

The throttle cable is very free moving and the throttle butterfly valve is also free moving and the spring easily returns it to its stop. I removed the IACV and this seems to be working as with it still connected to the loom the plunger moves in and out slightly when the ignition is turned on and off. The IACV was clean as was the hose feeding it.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else I could check? Some years ago I had a similar problem with the idle speed not reducing below about 1300 rpm. This was cured by replacing the ECM coolant temp sender. Is there a failure mode for this sender which could cause the above issues?

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Odd engine idle behavior

Post by Charless » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Maybe try cleaning the coolant sensor connector and check the wiring back to the ECU?

Andy E

Post by Andy E » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks Charless, I'll give that a go.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:51 am

Yes, fast idle when warm can be related to the coolant temperature sensor failing (the engine ECU will think the engine is cold and keep the engine in cold-start conditions - it will over fuel and maintain a fast idle).

Two other things to consider:
1. A vacuum leak - given that this problem seems intermittent, the most likely explanation for this is that the idle air control valve is sticking, letting more air in (equivalent to opening the throttle) - thus causing a fast idle
2. the throttle itself is sticking open - sometimes found on cars with plastic throttle bodies (many have been changed to the later metal type) - usually caused by someone in the past replacing the original hose clip with a jubilee clip that has then been over-tightened, causing distortion of the plastic body...

Andy E

Post by Andy E » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi Rob

I've checked for mechanical sticking, the throttle cable and the butterfly valve in the throttle body all seem to be clear of any undue friction. The throttle body is the earlier plastic bodied item but it does still have the original air hose clip. Although I have stripped and checked the Idle Air Control Valve, maybe I need to try another one to eliminate it.

Could a failing temperature sender cause an idle speed significantly above the normal 1300 ish rpm cold start idle speed? I've seen speeds of up to approx 2500 rpm.

Thanks for the response.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:05 pm

In my experience this is probably an air leak in or around the inlet manifold.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Andy E

Post by Andy E » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks, something else for me to check. Having said that, the car has behaved itself since I carried out the last checks!