Fluctuating temperature gaugue

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Dalo2906
MGF Register Region: Western Australia

Fluctuating temperature gaugue

Post by Dalo2906 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:30 am

Hi all

Car is 1997 MGF VVC.

Does anyone know probable cause for coolant temp to come up to normal, then drop two marks. Then come back to normal, then drop two marks on the gauge, ad infinitum.

No apparent loss of coolant.

Ideas please, thank you. Cooling quite important with Aussie summer not far away …

David

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Fluctuating temperature gaugue

Post by Charless » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi David, probably the gauge temperature sender unit beginning to fail internally. I had one which would be steady until you accelerated hard when the inrush of cooler water caused the gauge needle to drop (instantly) to zero and then recover slowly (damped normal rise) back to normal as the revs eased. Well worth replacing the sender first - which is an easy DIY.

Dalo2906
MGF Register Region: Western Australia

Post by Dalo2906 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:10 am

Thank you Charless

I appreciate your prompt reply. I'll order one from Rimmers. It'll be couple of weeks before I can do the work (hip replacement) but I hadn't considered that option - well spotted. Sorry to be pushy, but do you have any illustrations which show me where the sender lives please?

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:43 pm

Sticking thermostat.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:36 am

You will need to remove the engine access panel behind the seats. The gauge sensor is black or light blue sticking down from the front left corner of the cylinder head.
A useful reference can be found on Dieter's wonderful MGF website http://www.mgfcar.de/ Go down the index on LHS to 'Sensoren' there is a picture of the location there. There may well be better illustrations of the location on the net or the workshop manual (my laptop's DVD reader has failed so I can't confirm!).

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:37 pm

Sorry about the poor quality - shaky hands. The one you want is the bottom one (vertical) - that's the gauge sensor. The one on the left (horizontal) is the one for the ECU. They're not the same so make sure you get the right one.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:06 pm

I would start by reading live data via OBD.
This will give you what the coolant is doing.
If this reading fluctuates then it is a coolant problem.
If this data is steady then it's a sensor problem.

The sensor for the dash gauge only has one pin.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com