Advice please on a smaller steering wheel for my MGF vvc 1997

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
The Ancient MGer
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Advice please on a smaller steering wheel for my MGF vvc 1997

Post by The Ancient MGer » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:49 pm

I need to increase the gap between my right thigh (no I’m only 15st., 6’3” and at 75 I can’t be f…d to go on a diet!) and my MG F vvc (1997) steering wheel.
Yes I’ve had the seat frame lowered by VHS and seat springs fitted x4 instead of the metal ties to the seat cushion. Yes it’s much lower but just that little bit extra would make me feel much safer for quickly moving my foot over to the brake pedal from the accelerator.
So ladies and gentlemen I need your advice. I would like to replace the steering wheel. Would this one from Demon Tweeks, the Tricento (300mm diameter), flat dish that fits all standard Momo, OMP, and Sparco type boss kits be a suitable swop?
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/omp-tre ... el-246291/
Or even a Mountney 10” Steering Wheel from 1275 GT Mini Cooper.
Plus using this Steering wheel boss hub adapter kit (for MGF - Air Bag) for fitting an aftermarket steering wheel. It is approx. 70mm tall with a 6x 70mm and 6x74mm PCD bolt hole diameter. The same 6 hole plan that HKB, Option tuning and other brands use.
Are these options going to work?
Thanks guys I really need your help on this one!
Jreff

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Advice please on a smaller steering wheel for my MGF vvc 1997

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:08 pm

Jeff,

Sorry can't assist with your query, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

Whereabouts are you based in S&D?

Nigel
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:22 am

I had a similar problem with my TF, though I believe the "offending" trim (where the top of your shoe gets caught) is the same. Have you tried temporarily removing the bit of trim shown below. The steel strip is at the bottom when in-situ. and was leaving cuts in the leather of my right toe.
Standard panel below steering-wheel
If complete removal helps, and I found that wearing moccasins reduced the height from heel-to-toe. you can easily obtain a replacement piece of trim, (I think I bought mine from MGFnTFBitz) and make the cuts in steel and plastic I did, see below:
As you can see my larger show still catches the bottom of the fusebox, but only in extremis, and the fuseboxe flexes out of the way, unlike the unyielding steel strip.

Hope this helps, worth trying to avoid the hassle of and expense of steering wheel & Airbag changes.
Attachments
New Modified Trim
New Modified Trim

The Ancient MGer

Post by The Ancient MGer » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:42 am

Many thanks for your quick responses guys. I like the 'modified trim' idea 'Ellsojo'! That particular 'hazard' did not occur to be a particular problem for me but I'll check it out and let you know. Thanks anyway. A very helpful post.
Nigel, we have emailed before, back last summer, but my 'unsafe driving' position' problem, would not allow me to use 'Sally' at all this summer. Once I'm happy with my safety I'll definitely contact you re.joining the Club. Thanks for the contact anyway.
Jeff

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:18 pm

Pondering this in my sleep, I wonder if any other MG Rover steering wheel would be smaller...
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

The Ancient MGer

Post by The Ancient MGer » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:24 am

Slightly concerned about your dream regime Nigel but good logic!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:21 pm

nigelandjo wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:18 pm
Pondering this in my sleep, I wonder if any other MG Rover steering wheel would be smaller...
No, owners of other MG/Rover models use TF wheels to get a smaller wheel.
The same size wheel was used on late Rover Minis.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com