Help - TF boot lid brake light replacement

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Help - TF boot lid brake light replacement

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:44 pm

MoT test tomorrow, so checked everything at the weekend, all seemed ok.

Just now, decided to check lights again, as anxious fusspot :roll: , and half the leds light up. Just ordered a new replacement from Rimmers - £129 :cry:

I've never had to do this before, looks like you have to prise out of the bodywork against the paint - or are there any tricks to remove without potential paint damage?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Help - TF boot lid brake light replacement

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:32 pm

If I remember correctly (and am not confused with an F) you can push the led strip out from behind. Release the cable grommet and push a thin screwdriver through the hole.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:19 pm

Yes, thanks, just found that out myself using a torch in the dark.
Not done any poking yet, will leave that part when the new light unit arrives.

Meanwhile, MoT failure looks certain tomorrow, perhaps an advisory as the part is on order :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:07 am

Probably a bit late now Jerry, but if it is of similar construction to the F - it looks it - you can disassemble it and replace the individual bulbs/clean up their contacts.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:27 am

Another option is to remove the centre brake light before the test as they are not a legal requirement.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:55 pm

Charless wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:07 am
Probably a bit late now Jerry, but if it is of similar construction to the F - it looks it - you can disassemble it and replace the individual bulbs/clean up their contacts.
Unfortunately the TF lights are leds in a sealed, glued unit - they lasted for 20 years but were very brittle and shattered despite very careful wiggling (technical term)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:05 pm

Steve White wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:27 am
Another option is to remove the centre brake light before the test as they are not a legal requirement.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk
Thanks Steve, it was getting dark, food was calling and starting to rain.
Anyway, passed with advisory: Stop lamp(s) non-obligatory stop lamp not working [4.3.1(a) (ii)]

Old light out, thanks Nigel, dosed all visible lapping panels visible with my fluid of choice, Dinitrol, and now waiting for new light unit hopefully coming tomorrow.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 pm

Jerry ~ that's good news. A sensible MOT tester! Fitting is as Haynes would say "reverse of dismantling".
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:07 am

Charless wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:07 am
I have this same ongoing issue, I replace the bulbs and wiggle the contacts into action, 3 days later after a few bumps on the road they stop working again. :thumbsd: :oops: :rant:

Looks like after 22 years the only answer will be a full replacement.

It might only be an advisory, but with a small car in the traffic you need all the lights you can get.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:38 pm

It all went a bit wrong today :oops:

New light showed two lots of three leds, in different locations to the old unit. Looked like low voltage feed, so checked feed to the lights, +/- 7 volts !! Panic now so stripped the loom of trunking and sticky tape all the way back to the main loom. Using a pin to pierce the insulation, still 7 volts ish.

Then decided to check the rear light cluster - 7 volts for brake lights. All other functions were full voltage and earths were all good.

Then checked the brake light switch, 12v feed, 7 volts out :o Then remembered back in 2009, it failed the test because of brake light failure. I had checked the brake lights the night before and were ok. A quick jiggle of the switch and took the car back the same day to get a "pass". I replaced the switch that week.

So, 7 years from new, and again 13 years later :roll: All in all a catalogue of mistakes and £129 lighter. Further, the original light worked perfectly on 12v, although now in several pieces :cry:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:30 am

Bugger!

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:22 pm

mgtfnut said:"Then checked the brake light switch, 12v feed, 7 volts out :o Then remembered back in 2009, it failed the test because of brake light failure. I had checked the brake lights the night before and were ok. A quick jiggle of the switch and took the car back the same day to get a "pass". I replaced the switch that week.

So, 7 years from new, and again 13 years later :roll: All in all a catalogue of mistakes and £129 lighter. Further, the original light worked perfectly on 12v, although now in several pieces :cry:"

I am glad I read all of this thread, and so will anyone else who does a search on Brake Light Problems.

This is a perfect example of the value (£129 and a lot of grief in this case!) of these forums!

Many thanks to mgtfnut and all contributors