heat hose engine bay connection hoses

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

heat hose engine bay connection hoses

Post by RobboMC » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:19 am

Has anyone replaced the rubber heater hose connections at the engine bay end?

I have done all my radiator and coolant hoses except for a couple of these around the engine bay, the small
right angle hoses look impossible for a DIY to get at, nestled above the rear sub-frame.

Should I attack them from above, or is it a hoist job?

Or do I need to drop the rear sub frame ( which I have done before to replace the engine ! )

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: heat hose engine bay connection hoses

Post by mowog73 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:46 pm

I've just finished replacing all 5 hoses that are associated with the heater on my wife's MGF and will soon be doing the same job on my MGF.

The two hoses at the engine bay end can only be replaced by removing the heater pipe first, which requires removing most of the interior in order to get to the pipes.
Mark

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm

I replaced them a few weeks ago while the engine was out, even then it was a bit of a struggle. The hoses go about two inches through the bulkhead so they have to be fitted with the sprung steel hose clamps due to the confined space.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:06 am

Oh joy!

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe a job for Xmas holidays

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm

The two hoses that pass through the fire wall are not shown in the workshop manual, only on Rimmer's website. And they are sort of shown incorrectly in terms of the hoses that they connect to from the engine, so take note of which connects to which engine hose in terms of inlet and outlet. The heater pipe really isn't show correctly in the workshop manual. Also, the hoses to/from the heater valve are show incorrectly in the workshop manual. I've made up a coolant hose drawing that shows the hoses correctly.

I reused the factory constant hose clamps, which are superior to jubilee clamps, and replaced jubilee clamps, that a PO had installed, with constant tension hose clamps.

Here's a couple pictures to inspire you!
SAM_4468.JPG
SAM_4455.JPG
Coolant system with hose size and part numbers - corrected.jpg
Mark