engine cut out at 50mph, now nothing

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Leeaw85
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

engine cut out at 50mph, now nothing

Post by Leeaw85 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:39 pm

All good fun, enjoying my first mgf - even with the break down. Always wanted a tinker car, but turns out she wants more than a gentle tinker right now!!

So, a T reg 1.8i mgf in "shoddy" silver is my ride, with all the gubbins associated - 1.9MEMS, nom vvc etc.

Since owning she had a new battery from day 1, as it was 65% off and why not treat the girl. Got her the bigger battery and moved the retaining bracket to back of the 2 pre drilled holes.

However, few weeks ago whil coming home from Portsmouth (I'm in verwood) at 50mph the engine cut out and has refused to start again so far.

Just fitted new pump, as I couldn't hear that engaging, and she is generating a vacuum as each time I remove the fuel filler cap there is a strong hiss. Fuel is going through the new fuel filter I fitted at the same time as the pump, as I inadvertently hadn't fully tightened the post filter nut and some fuel was sprinkling out. Defo fuel being pumped somewhere.

However, cranks fine but no start up. I know this has been covered in a few threads, but thought I'd reach out on a new one as most threads are from a few years back and those hints have as yet to fix it for me.

I today have pulled off HT leads and dizzie cap, and given them a good clean. Have bypassed the inertia and now reattached inertia, have undone multiple cables in the engine bay and reattached, after spritzing with contact cleaner.

When I bought the car, there was a few spare parts in the boot...a fuel relay block, 4 x HT leads, a dizzy cap and half a dozen spark plugs. I'm inclined to believe that this is a historic problem with the car.

Has anyone any further tips, tricks or secret mgf knowledge to help me out please? I have time, some patience, a collection of tools some more useful than others, but a mechanic I am not.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: engine cut out at 50mph, now nothing

Post by ashleyfrazer » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:12 pm

Hi. The last time my F cut out at 50 it was on a two-way road. Managed to get into a lay by using the starter motor. AA came and told me they don't like MGFs. He put some fuel in but it wouldn't start. Non-start is normally fuel or electrical. Turned out it was the ignition module. The engineer put an old one in as a test and had it running in about 10 minutes. Once proven he ordered a new one.
Friday the F is coming out of a garage after not moving for 3 years. It's being recovered to the same guy. I bought some bits at Stoneleigh and a new battery. Wish me luck! Ash

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:35 am

Are you getting a spark at the plugs? What do they look like?
I assume if you tried a new distributor cap you also tried a new rotor arm? Ignition coil/king lead? Crankshaft position sensor?
Do you have compression in all the cylinders? (cam belt slipped/broken).
PS The hiss from the fuel tank cap is caused by pressure not vacuum but it does mean that the fuel system is almost certainly all good.

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:38 am

ashleyfrazer wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:12 pm
Hi. The last time my F cut out at 50 it was on a two-way road. Managed to get into a lay by using the starter motor. AA came and told me they don't like MGFs. He put some fuel in but it wouldn't start. Non-start is normally fuel or electrical. Turned out it was the ignition module. The engineer put an old one in as a test and had it running in about 10 minutes. Once proven he ordered a new one.
Friday the F is coming out of a garage after not moving for 3 years. It's being recovered to the same guy. I bought some bits at Stoneleigh and a new battery. Wish me luck! Ash

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
I'm hoping for similar, there was no build up to this or warning - done almost 1000 miles in her before this and never a hesitation or splutter that I noticed.

Unless I had noticed but put it down to being a 1999 car. Always had a bit of a "back blow" thinking about it, maybe that was misfiring all along...

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:23 pm

I have had a good fiddle with the car recently, and upon replacing the rotor arm have realised that in all my attempts to start the car up, the rotor has not moved!!

Being a 1.8mpi 1.9mems car - I think I need to look at crank position sensor. The rotor doesn't turn by hand, so I don't think it's sheared off internally, and I've had cambelt cover off and the cambelt is still there (at this point, that's a big bonus)

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:28 pm

For all those with baited breath, am update!!

Had a friend over, and tried an old fashioned bump start. So close to starting up, so so close!!

Car back on the drive, pulled out spark plugs and all wet so fuel is going round for sure. Removed distributor cap and can confirm rotor arm had moved - so safe to say at this point that section is fine.

Replaced dizzy cap and pulled off blue spark leads, and no spark from all 4. Didn't try doing it off the king lead, as (quite frankly) not brave enough! Tried the old OEM leads from the boot of spares, and still the same.

So, have ordered a new Lucas Ignition Coil and set of 5 leads (also Lucas). Will fit these when they arrive.

So far, have checked out fuel pump relay (multi meter and in place) and seem to be ok.

Have checked dizzy cap and replaced rotor (old one did have nice hot/scorch mark on it, so may as well replace hey).

Fuel pump had packed up as it never primed following initial breakdown, mad new pump is working.

What is strange at this point is, the fact that so many parts are being replaced to get her starting again. I think there has been a failing in recent times of several bits, and perhaps me fitting the nice new battery has finally allowed those failing items to finally fail.

Will post update after fitment of new parts in post. Have ordered a new crank position sensor as well, but seeing as rotor arm has moved that indicates the crank sensor is working, or that at least the crank arm is rotating which is nice

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:07 am

Check if the coil is getting electrical feed.

I would also not recommend bump starting an MGF,
if a K-series doesn't fire in the first few seconds or LESS
then something is wrong. An old mechanic once told me firing 'first kick'
is a signal that the ignition and can timing are all spot on.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:12 am

Leeaw85 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:28 pm

Have ordered a new crank position sensor as well, but seeing as rotor arm has moved that indicates the crank sensor is working, or that at least the crank arm is rotating which is nice
The rotor arm is attached to the inlet cam and is driven mechanically, if that were not turning... well... don't even want to think about that!

The crank sensor is down near the starter motor and 'looks' at the flywheel. If the computer can't see where the crank angle is then it probably won't provide a signal to spark the coil.

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 pm

Good news!!!

Replaced the ignition coil and all HT leads with Lucas approved parts...and she started up. Made me jump, still had the engine access panel and everything up haha.

So all this time, first the fuel pump packed up followed by ignition coil. Dodgy HT leads weren't helping either.

On a side note, the ignition coils is nice and easy to remove - finding the 2 hidden bolts not so much. Being a contortionist and ability to see round corners helps. I found if I looked at the new coil I could "picture" the 3 bolt layout on the car. Found the underneath one ok, that 3rd one (top right bolt as you look from rear number into engine) is a by feel only.

Trying to refit the bolts back in is just as hard, due to being a 1 handed operation and not able to see the holes when you are holding the darn bolt. Perseverance, and putting the bolt in the socket without the handle, just a small extension bar, proved to bring the greatest joy.

Ready to drive around at the weekend now, my only question is shall I go with roof down or up :-D

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 am

Hi. Great news and really well done.

I got my car yesterday after 3 years. Nearly 27 years ago I described the MGF drive in one word "WOW". Drove mine for the first time in 3 years and still the same word to describe it. I think part of it is the smell. I do admit to using the hard top but only because right now I haven't got anywhere to keep it. Ash

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:54 am

Bolts are easy. Take a 1/4 in drlve short extension and socket. Apiece of plastic tape and make a short cut. . Push the bolt through from the sticky side, put the bolt head in the socket and fold the tape over the socket and extension. Fit the bolt a couple of turns, pull the socket off with the tape, bin the tape and tighten the nut.
Geoff.F

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pm

Great tip with the tape there, I'll remember that with the next jobs I have!!

Have now discovered 2 strange things. Firstly, there is a very definitive tick. Like a tick tock tick, coming from the engine, can hear it on idle but not so much when driving. I think an oil change due on this after reading through the forum.

The other is, after driving a couple of minutes, I get a strange smoke coming into the cabin. Appears to be coming from around the gearstick/ashtray area. No smell or anything associated, and from sticking my phone in the cubby hole and recording it looks like it's coming from the front and not the engine. I have stuck a nice, fully charged battery on there and now it's charging at 14V instead of 13.3V (post coil and pre coil readings) so no doubt there is a breakdown in an electrical circuit somewhere

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:21 am

Leeaw85 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 pm

Being a contortionist and ability to see round corners helps. I found if I looked at the new coil I could "picture" the 3 bolt layout on the car. Found the underneath one ok, that 3rd one (top right bolt as you look from rear number into engine) is a by feel only.

Trying to refit the bolts back in is just as hard, due to being a 1 handed operation and not able to see the holes when you are holding the darn bolt. Perseverance, and putting the bolt in the socket without the handle, just a small extension bar, proved to bring the greatest joy.
These are all great skills to have if you plan to maintain an MGF.

Wait till you get to the water pump!

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:08 am

Or the thermostat!

Leeaw85

Post by Leeaw85 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Hopefully, you clever people on here can steer me in the right direction.

Car was running fine after getting it going, until Monday when it decided it would just give up at a traffic lighted roundabout.

I had driven about 28 miles in total that day, nothing seemed amiss. Got to this traffic light which was red, slowed to a stop and then OFF. So far unable to restart again.

Friend round this evening, can hear the pump priming (and can do it with the roverMEMS app on the phone too) so replacement pump is still working. Checked all spark plugs and all are sparking lovely and in sequence. But, after several attempts, only Spark 4 is wet on removal - the others are bone dry.

So it sounds like no fuel - but fuel is leaving the fuel filter (disconnected the output pipe from it and had a petroly shower) and only 1 damp spark plug.

Any thoughts on this please?

I had vacuum in the tank, it released as I popped the cap to add fuel...just making sure I hadn't actually run out!!

Once or twice the engine almost fired up, but didn't quite make it. Just turns overs/cranks