Tilting Car LIft

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
stux99
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Tilting Car LIft

Post by stux99 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:46 am

Question. I have been looking at a couple of the above mentioned and would love to know if anyone has any knowledge of these. Planning on some sub-frame work front and rear when weather improves. Grateful for any input, good or bad. Stu

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Tilting Car LIft

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 pm

There are various types of car lifts available all of which cost between about £1500 and a few Grand; Just beware that there are always hidden extras in the adverts, in particular that delivery (on top of the sale price) involves an Artic lorry and it is up to YOU to get it off the trailer. You will need a fork lift.

On top of that, you need to ensure that the concrete base of your garage or workshop is strong enough (in the case of a 2 post lift) to withstand the stresses involved, as well as an electrical installation sufficiently powerful for the motor(s) and hydraulics.

A scissor type or tilter seem to be the cheapest, but they do have their particular disadvantages. Lack of height being the main one.

stux99

Post by stux99 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:39 am

Thanks for your reply, it is the scissor type I am considering for small(ish) jobs. Height isnt a problem, just good to be higher than jacks and axle stands. :-)

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:34 pm

Just make sure that you've got enough clearance between your folded scissor lift and the underneath of your car so you can actually run it over it. Might not be a problem with a standard TF but if it's been lowered you might struggle. I've seen a scissor lift fitted inside a depression in the garage floor so it didn't stick up too much. Check on the fully folded height.

cbjroms
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Looking To Buy

Post by cbjroms » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:12 am

I considered one of these at the cheaper end of the market and concluded that it would be a pain to store and would not give much clearnace under the car.

stux99

Post by stux99 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:15 am

cbjroms wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:12 am
I considered one of these at the cheaper end of the market and concluded that it would be a pain to store and would not give much clearnace under the car.
Thanks for reply, the lift I have in mind would just fit under TF and the 3. Lift height is around 585 mm which is enough for me, and of course tilt would make it better on front or rear as required. Agreed, storage is awkward but manageable. I intend to hang covered when not in use.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:34 pm

I looked at one of these a while back - ideal for my Austin Seven with its very narrow track, but I decided (actually the wife decided) that I didn't need it. I bought an extra low trolley jack with a 55cm lift instead. It does most jobs.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:33 pm

Interesting.
A few years ago I did a nut and bolt restoration of Ann’s Sunbeam Stilleto (now in our garage). It included a complete body strip and replacement panels and re spray.
For this I bought a Rotisserie. Brackets on the front and rear bumper mounts, screw lifts and spin it 360 degrees.
This was replaced with a 4 post lift with 5 ft lift to the garage roof. We moved house but the new garages are not wide enough.We may convert it to the narrower version.
If you buy a lift platform, you do not need to digup the garage floor as height is no problem with old railway sleepers each side.
RR I am jealous of your Austin 7. Back when I was 17, 1 bought a 7, towed it home and gave it a full restoration and repainted it green with Brushing Belco, 7 coats with sanding down between each. Needed 3 engines to keep it on the road 2 are still in the garage.
My work required me to travel regularly from Warwick to Bristol so it had to go.
Geoff.F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 pm

I think these are currently on offer at Costco if you have an account with them. Also toyed with this idea - not sure that they give enough height to lift the car off an assembled rear subframe and engine/transaxle, plus you need to store it somewhere (which is a bit of a problem for me)

Getting the car over a folded one shouldn't be too difficult - even if lowered - so long as you build some wooden ramps to enable the car to go up and over the lift.

If I could work out if I could store one, and if it gave the necessary height, I'd definitely get one.

stux99

Post by stux99 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:29 am

Thanks Rob, already committed to Automomech. Seems a good bit of kit, we will see ;-)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:26 pm

Let me know your impressions - and particularly, how large/heavy it is - I'd need to store it on its side next to a car in a very narrow garage (cars were a lot smaller in the 1920s...) :)