MGF coolant hose - what's this part?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Wicked56
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

MGF coolant hose - what's this part?

Post by Wicked56 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:55 am

Hi all, hoping for some help from those with more MGF experience than I!

I have a 1997 MGF VVC. I discovered a problem with leaking coolant which I traced to a split hose near the top of the engine. I pulled it off only to discover there is a metal insert inside the hose with two small holes in it - see attached photo. I can't see this on the parts diagram, so I'm wondering if I should put it back in? What's the purpose of this? Is it possible this part caused the hose to split around it due to increased pressure?
Attachments
20230304_130226.jpg

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: MGF coolant hose - what's this part?

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:01 pm

Does that "thing" have any holes to allow the passage of coolant? I suspect not, so it must have been used to blank off that part of the cooling circuit - not a good idea.
That hose used to be in short supply, just hope you can source another.
Looking at the appearance of the engine, and the fact that you probably have high ambient temperatures, it might be worth checking the other hose of larger bore which exits the cyl. head from the same "T" piece and goes down past the exhaust to the under floor metal pipes. High temperatures take their toll on what looks like may be the original hose, and worth taking off and giving a good flex about to check it still flexes with no visible cracks.
Check to make sure the heat shield is intact as well to give these hoses half a chance of surviving!
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: MGF coolant hoses

Post by RobboMC » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:16 am

I have started a thorough replacement program on my hoses.

With the last coolant drain for the water pump I did the major radiator hoses front and rear.

Next step will be to do the heater hoses and the various 'other' hoses around the engine bay.
It's expensive and will be time consuming, but if we want these cars to keep running like new then
a 25 year old system needs some replacing. The little hoses connecting the heater pipes at the engine bay end
will really test my patience as a mechanic.

So when you're heading for a water pump change save up some money and change whatever hoses you can afford.

Where are you in Eastern Australia, I travel around a bit, I might drop in and say hello.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: MGF coolant hose - what's this part?

Post by mowog73 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:33 pm

I have started a project similar to Robbo. I've replaced most of the original coolant hoses on our two 1995 MGFs, but the hoses going to/from the heater were still original, 27+ year old hoses, so I am presently in the process of replacing those 5 hoses on both cars, as well as the heater pipe.
Mark