MG F

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
digcot65
MGF Register Region: Midlands

MG F

Post by digcot65 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 pm

I bought my `99 MG F as a non runner.After replacing the ECU and alarm box I had it running fine I went into the garage this morning,to start tidying it up and I started the engine which started first time. So I switched off and did some work then I thought I would try the central locking with the key fob
It did open and close but the motor seemed to take along time to do it I switched the battery isolator off as I had to go somewhere when I returned and switched the battery isolator on,the horn blasted out and the alarm light was on I disconnected the horns to save the noise and looking a the dash ,the alarm light was on along with the 4th light from the top which is a triangle in a circle .I the disconnected the plugs in the door for the central locking and the alarm light now flashe sand the triangle light is still on Any help please Len
Attachments
DSCF0039.JPG

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: MG F

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:09 pm

Hi. Can't help on the alarm but the warning lights are like this.
Ash
SmartSelect_20230305_160800_Edge.jpg
Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:40 pm

The photo is of a Mk1 dash but the diagram is a later one, after 2000 model year(digital odometer). The warning light arrangement is different. On the early dash (as yours) the only warning light with a triangle in it is the one for the hazard warning lights. They will flash when the alarm is activated. If it's stuck it sounds like there's a power problem.

If I were you the first thing to do is undo what you've just done, replace the battery in the key fob, and charge the car battery. Then you'll have to link the key fob to the car by pressing lock and then unlock several times until the central locking operates as it should.

Don't leave an MGF for more than a fortnight or you'll have a flat battery. Best connect it to a smart charger to keep it topped up.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 pm

Hi. Sorry. My car is a 99 but a mk2. Agree on the trickle charge. Someone disconnected mine and I didn't notice. So a new battery fir a start when we pulled it out on Friday after 3 years not turning a wheel. 2 tyres on order now too. Ash

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:31 am

Thanks Ive fitted a battery isolator ,so when ever Ive finished work on the car I switch it off .The car was finally in the home straight as regards the restoration I fitted a repLacement ECU and it cured the problems I had ,so yesterday I thought I would try the central locking .When I pressed the button the system seemed to take 2 or 3 seconds to work,you could hear what sounded like a motor trying to engage, then the door lock opened and closed but as I said slowly.I the tried the car a little later and as I connected the battery the alarm light came on and the horn went off At the moment Im disconnecting the plug and socket for each door look,to see if it clears the problem However I can get a new battery for the fob . It is number 14 light that comes on when ign on and alarm light when just the battery is connected Thank you both very much for your help I bought the car a a non runner and I ve had my share of problems getting it near right Im battling a health problem and age at the moment so the less problems the better Also I ve just had my car written off on the M6 when a 25 ton lorry hit the off side of it. Driver claimed he couldn`t see me from his cab My wife and I were very luck we survived Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:37 am

Sorry I mean to add ,the condition I bought the car in I doubt if the central locking had been used for a year .Also if it is just the fob battery why is the alarm light on when the battery is connected ,which is in good charged condition

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:50 pm

I`ve disconnected both central locking plugs on the doors The alarm light ,now flashes before it stayed on. I can also hear a relay clicking When I turn the ignition on the number 14 light ( the triangle in a circle comes on ) and the horns if connected sound .The car battery is nearly new and shows 12.75 v when nothing on and with headlights on it shows 11.9 volts which is good .All my problems started,when I operated the central locking ,which possibly hadnt been used for a year,knowing how long the car had been idle before I bought it. I thought after a lot of trouble to get it running and all seemed OK ,I thought my troubles were ending I am open to any suggestion Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 am

Morning Ive gone through the procedure,of locking the drivers door wi the pin Ign on -off -on and unlocking drivers door with the pin But alarm light still on along with triangle in a circle So Im lost Annoying,that everything was fine,until I tried the central locking Is it worth having a diagnostic test done Im afraid health wise I am no longer up to spending hours tracing faults Len