Wiper/Indicator stalk issues

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RoryO'H
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 1.8 Non VVC

Wiper/Indicator stalk issues

Post by RoryO'H » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Hi all,

MOT time is around the corner and my MG has not moved much over winter.

Decided to get it running and check all the basics such as lights, horn etc..

I gave the battery a good charge all day Monday and into Tuesday, went out yesterday afternoon, turned the key and the wipers immediately started. I thought I'd maybe bumped the switch however with the ignition on and the switch off, the wipers still operate. The wipers do change speed when you select a faster speed and the washer still works.

I've pulled the fuse for them at the moment however this will obviously be an issue on its MOT.

As I continued round, I noticed that wheneve I have the headlights on and I pull the main beam switch, the rear fog turns on as well. I can't get the fog light off using the rear fog switch but only by turning the headlights off.

Anyone experience anything similar? I'm going to see if I can pull the wiper stalk out and check resistances on the pins to see if there's a fault in the stock or if it's a relay problem somewhere else in the car? Everything is all standard in the car electrics wise and I've had no issues prior.
1996 MG F - 1.8 Non VVC

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Wiper/Indicator stalk issues

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:22 pm

Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:16 pm

I would inspect the loom where it passes close to the boot hinge for damage, it may seem unrelated but damage to that part of the loom can lead to odd electrical behaviour that you describe.

RoryO'H

Post by RoryO'H » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:37 pm

Hi,

Thank you both for your thoughts, I've taken off and cleaned the earth points under the bonnet, inside the cabin and the one in the boot. They were all pretty clean but did them anyway. While I was at it, I inspected the looms in the boot and there was no apparent damage (although I've read it isn't always visible).

I also managed to get the wiper and light stalks off the wheel and got some contact cleaner into them. I found a wiring diagram and confirmed with a multimeter that all the switches were switching as they should.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the MFU? I've been doing some research on it and as far as I can it does have some circuitry for the wipers and the rear fog (While I remember, my intermittent wipe has never worked since owning the vehicle, I wonder if it is also related?)

I can see there are a few second hand ones out there so I might try and source one to swap out. It looks a simple enough job and I have a 1996 F so as far as I can tell it's just a plug and play job?

Thanks again and will keep everyone updated! :)
1996 MG F - 1.8 Non VVC

RoryO'H

Post by RoryO'H » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd post an update.

I replaced the red MFU located behind the interior fusebox and I'm pleased to say that my wipers are stuck on no more! Infact there are a few other features that are also working.

Rear fog works as expected and doesn't turn on randomly with main beam.
Wiper intermittent setting works.
Interior lights (Mirror and Footwell) now operate when the doors are opened.
Internal Buzzer now operates (such as trying to start the car while the immobilizer is active).

All these features never had worked on my F although I hadn't done enough research to realise they should :roll:

My F is stored under a cover and usually kept pretty dry however I noticed I could see daylight while I was under the dash replacing the MFU. I'm wondering if water has dripped in somewhere and caused problems on one of the days it's not been covered however I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for all your input! :thumbsu:
1996 MG F - 1.8 Non VVC

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:50 pm

Result!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Rory, pleased you have not only fixed your car but also managed to "upgrade" it too.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:51 pm

h for the old days power / switch / consumer / earth and no pesky chip in the way, but then again how could I post this without a pesky chip. Glad you got it sorted and more importantly reported the solution, I love a happy ending.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:16 am

RoryO'H wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:01 pm
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd post an update.

I replaced the red MFU located behind the interior fusebox and I'm pleased to say that my wipers are stuck on no more! Infact there are a few other features that are also working.

Rear fog works as expected and doesn't turn on randomly with main beam.
Wiper intermittent setting works.
Interior lights (Mirror and Footwell) now operate when the doors are opened.
Internal Buzzer now operates (such as trying to start the car while the immobilizer is active).

All these features never had worked on my F although I hadn't done enough research to realise they should :roll:

My F is stored under a cover and usually kept pretty dry however I noticed I could see daylight while I was under the dash replacing the MFU. I'm wondering if water has dripped in somewhere and caused problems on one of the days it's not been covered however I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for all your input! :thumbsu:
Congratulations on achieving a resolution of an (apparently) weird set of problems.

Full marks for correctly analysing said problems,

AND a GOLD STAR :D for taking the trouble to let anyone following or , at some time in the future, searching this site for solutions to similar problems.