Front Lambda Sensor Removal

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MGF Anthracite
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Front Lambda Sensor Removal

Post by MGF Anthracite » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:29 pm

HI all,

So a bit of advice. I'm going to be changing the first O2 sensor (downpipe) on my 2001 MGF.

Now the principal should be easy, but from looking it doesn't look the easiest of location, so has anyone removed this and what is the best way to do it. I have the O2 sensor removing socket and a breaker bar so should be good to go.

Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Front Lambda Sensor Removal

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:49 pm

Soak with WD 40.

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm

My advice would be if it wont come undone, drop the downpipe in the long run it's probably quicker and defo less frustrating.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu May 18, 2023 10:45 pm

Is this a 4 stud or 6 stud system?

Just a little warning - the first time I changed a probe (4 stud) the thread came out with the probe! If I had known what I do know I might have considered a helicoil but luckily I had a spare manifold so swapped them over.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com