Door Locked Closed

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgf15
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Door Locked Closed

Post by mgf15 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 am

Hi All,

I'm rather new to MGFs having come from the simpler MGBs. I was replacing the drivers side external door handle which had snapped, but was still working. I got the handle out fine, door card off, handle link disconnected, lock link disconnected, two screws out. While I was inspecting the broken handle, the door shut on its own, and now I can't open it. I've tried pushing and pulling the handle rod via the external opening, but it just seems loose with no resistance, and doesn't open the door. If I operate the fob or the manual lock on the door, its seems to unlock then instantly lock again. I tried the owners manual, but got no joy, it just confused me more. Never seen such a complicated security/central locking/immobilising system! Can anyone shed some light as to what has happening and how to get the door open. Passenger door is operating fine.

Thanks for your help.

BB

mgf15

Re: Door Locked Closed

Post by mgf15 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:32 am

Hello, can anyone help with this one? Thx

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 am

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:15 am

Hi BB,
I had lock problems recently - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26557
Maybe some tips in here particularly MGF74's well illustrated post. Good luck!

mgf15

Post by mgf15 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:17 am

Hi All, so finally got some time and decent weather to take another look at this. Tried many of the ideas people had previously posted, will little luck except for this. I disconnected the battery. Pulled the plug to the lock mechanism, and used a 12v transformer to jump power to the lock. It did plenty of machine gun type sounds one way, and not much the other way. But suddenly after several cycles I saw the door lock pin lift up and stay up. Pulled the door handle and the door opened. Woo-hoo! One problem solved, but no cause yet?
Currently I can't start the car. The remote does nothing. It seems like I can lock/unlock the doors with the key but the alarm light stays on and if I try starting the car I get an audible warning and no start.Could that mean even though I got the lock open the SCU still thinks the door is deadlocked? Hence the no start? Car starting was never a problem before this lock issue cropped up.
Any further advise anyone? Thx

Charless

Post by Charless » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:22 am

If a 12v transformer was able to make the door lock work properly, maybe the battery voltage is being dropped somewhere in the system - I am thinking the earth paths and terminals?

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:58 am

Do you have the Emergency Key Access Code for your car ?? This is a Code whereby you press the lock and unlock on the fob in a numeric Code.

mgf15

Post by mgf15 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:42 am

I think the transformer just gave it a decent kick of amps to move the solenoid from the superlock position? Once I pulled the lock mechanism out of the door and operated the rods a few times the thing locked up again. So far the transformer hasn't been able to unlock it again. I think something might be broken in the locking mechanism?

No, I have no emergency key access code! I hope its just a sync problem with the fob?

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:32 pm

Have you reset the remote by pressing the unlock button five times?

mgf15

Post by mgf15 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:26 am

Thanks jonaf, does the door lock mechanism need to be installed and plugged in to do that? Its currently out of the car.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:46 pm

You should be able to resync the fob without the lock being attached.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

JAGMG 2023
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by JAGMG 2023 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:54 am

Not wanting to hi jack this thread but I have a similar problem. The battery is fully charged, neither remotes will lock or unlock the doors, the key does. I have changed the battery in both remotes and they are reading 2.93v
I have tried the lock/unlock with the key and press the lock button 4 times with both remotes but the car still beeps when I try to start the car.
I have also tried the doors closed, pull up the lock plunger on the drivers door and turn the ignition key on/off/on
Still no joy. Any further suggestions?
TIA

Charless

Post by Charless » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:34 am

Welcome aboard JAGMG, do you know any history of when the locks worked properly? 2.93v sounds a bit on the low side - should be around 3.2v for a brand new 2032. Also you can give them more than 4 presses to resynchronise the immobiliser after a battery change and it is best to try one at a time. You may need T4 or pscan assistance - local MG club is be your best bet.

JAGMG 2023
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by JAGMG 2023 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:55 am

JAGMG 2023 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:54 am
Not wanting to hi jack this thread but I have a similar problem. The battery is fully charged, neither remotes will lock or unlock the doors, the key does. I have changed the battery in both remotes and they are reading 2.93v
I have tried the lock/unlock with the key and press the lock button 4 times with both remotes but the car still beeps when I try to start the car.
I have also tried the doors closed, pull up the lock plunger on the drivers door and turn the ignition key on/off/on
Still no joy. Any further suggestions?
TIA
Just to update, turns out it was interference from a new 5G cell tower close by, Just needed to hold the remote close to the alarm receiver in the passenger footwell.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:46 am

And I thought that I was the only person to have this problem. I bought my MGF in Basle in 2000 and parked to take lunch. On return it was totally dead. The EKA did not help. I was parked next to a Taxi Office. Intending to take a Taxi back to the office. Instead I asked if they would kindly turn their Radio Off. Bingo. 1st turn of the key.
Later I checked the EKA. It did not work. Back to the Dealer who showed me how to do it. 3 attempts failed. The first two numbers were interchanged on the paperwork.