TF Engine oil recommendations

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MAXTHEDOG
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

TF Engine oil recommendations

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:21 pm

Hi All,
I need a small top up of oil. Does anyone have any particular brand recommendations? I’ll probably buy 5 litres or so in anticipation of a service.
Regards,
Michael
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k
MY2006 Freelander Td4. - 151k

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Re: TF Engine oil recommendations

Post by Steve55 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:28 pm

This comes highly recommended by many MGF / MGTF owners including myself.
Attachments
IMG_0122.jpeg

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:02 pm

As Steve55 states Castrol Magnatec 10/40 is the oil of choice for many F and TF owners especially for the VVC engines. Many others will say any 10/40 semi synthetic will do but the fact remains that the ECU is programmed to the viscosity of the Castrol oil other oils may have different viscosities. Ebay is normally the cheapest source (today £24) but last year Halfords on a special offer for around £18.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:53 pm

mgb281 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:02 pm
As Steve55 states Castrol Magnatec 10/40 is the oil of choice for many F and TF owners especially for the VVC engines. Many others will say any 10/40 semi synthetic will do but the fact remains that the ECU is programmed to the viscosity of the Castrol oil other oils may have different viscosities. Ebay is normally the cheapest source (today £24) but last year Halfords on a special offer for around £18.
Interesting, where did that come from? I've always used semi synthetic from Shell, Castrol, Halfords (which I think may be Castrol) as recommended by MG-R. I thought that industry standard 10/40 semi synthetics were all made to this viscosity, probably with differing additives.
I could see that a VVC might be more sensitive. How does the ECU know Castrol is put, not any old stuff :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

MAXTHEDOG

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:45 pm

Thanks to all for your help.
Think I’ll go with MAGNATEC.
Cheers,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:12 pm

mgtfnut wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:53 pm
mgb281 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:02 pm
Interesting, where did that come from? I've always used semi synthetic from Shell, Castrol, Halfords (which I think may be Castrol) as recommended by MG-R. I thought that industry standard 10/40 semi synthetics were all made to this viscosity, probably with differing additives.
I could see that a VVC might be more sensitive. How does the ECU know Castrol is put, not any old stuff :?
I read it on one of the forums, it was written by someone who certainly appeared knowledgeable. Obviously the ECU has no idea whose oil is in the engine but according to the author the actuation of the VVT is affected by both the viscosity of the oil and the viscosity change with temperature. Whether it's fact or fiction is unknown to the vast majority of us, since I have a VVC engine that is quiet I will continue using Magnatec. I will also continue to change the oil annually even though it is more frequently than required. The problem is that I will never know whether a cheaper oil would have performed as well or not, I tend to watch out for when Halfords or ECP have a discounted offer price, last year it was just over £18 for four litres.

MAXTHEDOG

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:02 pm

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
I’ve got some 10W/40 as per the manual. Also, I found the invoice for the service that said Magnatec 10W/40 so that’s that.
Cheers,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:08 am

[
[/quote]
I will also continue to change the oil annually even though it is more frequently than required. The problem is that I will never know whether a cheaper oil would have performed as well or not,
[/quote]

I once asked a very knowledgeable man if I should upgrade the oil in the new Toyota 4WD I was buying.
His response was:

"Oil is cheap compared to the alternative"

Buy the best oil you can.

I drained the Toyota oil and stared using Mobil 1, even inside the warranty period.

25 years later that engine is still going strongly. One of the babies it was bought to transport now drives it to work. :)

Also, I thought annually was the longest time period between oil changes. Don't the handbooks say "xx,000 miles or 6/12 months, whichever is the shorter"