URGENT for Instructions on how to fit mgtf retro bonnet light

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

URGENT for Instructions on how to fit mgtf retro bonnet light

Post by John W » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:36 am

Can someone please remind me how to retro fit a under bonnet light for the MGTF, its well over 10years ago since I last fitted one, all I can remember is and I would like clarification, that I takecable via an inline fuze to a live connection and then another wire via a piggy back connector to the Alarm plunger. If I am correctt where would the best place and easiest place to pick up a live connection, would it be in the visable fuze box?
I truly hope someone reads my request,
regards
John
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Re: URGENT for Instructions on how to fit mgtf retro bonnet light

Post by Steve55 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:56 pm

Saw this on the mg-Rover forum with a follow up question:

Since MG-Rover were too tight to put a bonnet light in my TF, decided to fit my own....at least they still left a hole in the bonnet skeleton to allow me to fit one!

And I am quite happy with the wiring, it went in ok and looks alright too.

I took the connections from the bonnet fusebox, with an in line 5A fuse added to protect the circuit, and the 0V connected to the bonnet switch.
Will probably never use it, but the lamp was only a couple of quid from our sponsor, and its something that should have been there anyway!
Sundance

g0rsq said:
Just a quick question!

As the under bonnet switch is also used for the alarm, did you need to take any precautions to prevent the light affecting the alarm?

When the bonnet is closed, there will be 12V on the wire going to the switch from the light.

Want to do this mod on mine, but thought I would need to put a diode on the alarm wire to prevent issues.

Thanks

peter
No need to protect with a diode, the switch switches 0V or negative earth as we used to call it. It would still be connected to the same source wherever you connected the 0V to (even in the boot). Any diode protection to the alarm control unit will already be fitted if it is needed. I did wonder the same, briefly, then it quickly dawned on me that if you are switching 0V, it aint an issue as its "common" to the supply or battery.
Sundance

John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Re: URGENT for Instructions on how to fit mgtf retro bonnet light

Post by John W » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:42 pm

Thanks Steve55,
A real help, brought everything back clearly in my mind.
regards
Johnw
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver