Replacement of glass rear window in 2004 TF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Alessandro
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Replacement of glass rear window in 2004 TF

Post by Alessandro » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:16 am

My glass rear window has smashed by a careless drop. Now I can buy a whole new hood but wonder if there is a way to instal new glass into the current hood. Is anyone aware of the OEM company that makes/made these hoods so I can ask them how to do it? If the answer is no then apart from Rimmer Bros where else can I talk to people about a replacement.

Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Replacement of glass rear window in 2004 TF

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm

BAS International “car-hood.co.uk
They manufactured later MGF hoods

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:14 pm

BAS also sell the replacement glass section which zips in at the top and is secured by replacement pop rivets along the bottom. I’ve got one on my TF - can recommend.
Last edited by Steve55 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve55

Post by Steve55 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:14 pm

…. very straight forward to fit too….

Alessandro
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Post by Alessandro » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:51 am

Thank you so much for your very helpful responses. I will get on to BAS on Monday.

seasider
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF

Post by seasider » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:07 am

I had a BAS one fitted to my F recently, they are good. Be prepared for a long wait though.

Steve55

Post by Steve55 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:28 am

I fitted my own - took a couple of hours. Tools needed are a drill, suitable sized drill bit to drill out old pop rivets and pop riveter to fit new rivets through the same holes. Look at the condition of the rubber seal along the bottom edge of the hood. I replaced mine at the same time using a neoprene replacement (think from MG Mania). I heard about a cheaper version later - a draft excluder from Tool Station which was the correct dimension.