Under bonnet plastic protector

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MAXTHEDOG
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Under bonnet plastic protector

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:20 am

Hi,
Despite searches on here looking through the workshop manual and the F/TF Restoration manual I can’t find how to remove the black plastic protector/thingy under the bonnet. I don’t even know what to call it. Obviously there’s the fixing into the snorkel and two nuts on the left hand side, but I can’t see any more. Does it just pull up and out? Mine’s either well and truly stuck or there’s more fixings. If any knows or can direct me to a thread that mentions it, it would be appreciated.
Regards,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k
MY2006 Freelander Td4. - 151k

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: Under bonnet plastic protector

Post by EllsoJo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:02 pm

I presume you are talking about the cover for the large hole and the brake operating torsion tube + screenwash bottle. I removed this to do a flush of the screenwash, and took pictures. My 2002 TF does NOT have a snorkel, so there is a fastener hole in the plastic heater cover:

Holes found in green.  Studs not found in RED
Holes found in green. Studs not found in RED
Right-hand fastener
Right-hand fastener
Assuming that you have found the three fasteners at the top level (two left, one right), then the fasteners you have not found are probably the two studs I have circled in red.

The two on the left are in this picture:
Left-hand fasteners
Left-hand fasteners
Hope that some of this helps. Regards
John E

MAXTHEDOG

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Yes that’s it. I’ve since worked it out. The three fasteners you mentioned are joined with another two posts down behind the spare wheel. Couldn’t see them the other day with the wheel there.
Cheers,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:47 pm

MAXTHEDOG wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:21 pm
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Yes that’s it. I’ve since worked it out. The three fasteners you mentioned are joined with another two posts down behind the spare wheel. Couldn’t see them the other day with the wheel there.
Cheers,
Michael.
Never give up - if something has been fitted, it's 99.9% likely to be simply removed. Sometimes lateral thinking comes in useful ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

MAXTHEDOG

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:34 am

Thanks to both John and Jerry for your help.
Still on the learning curve!
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k