TF 85 rear wing air vent replacement?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
TedTF85
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 85th Anniversary LE

TF 85 rear wing air vent replacement?

Post by TedTF85 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:00 am

2009 TF 85th Anniversary Ice White. The left rear wing air vent fitting fell out yesterday somewhere on our journey! We retraced our steps without success and now find this part unobtainable as a replacement new item. Anyone know what the part is termed as I have searched many used item websites without sucess and now need to search more fully or contact personally and a correct description would be helpful. Do all TFs have the same part and is the metal grill stainless in other models? If I can get a good used item, I will attempt to get it re-painted locally and if the expanded metal screen is not stainless, I will attempt to get one made. Any advice greatly appreciated. This car complete with hard top in matching paintwork and stripe would have been for sale, but I need to obtain this part and get it fitted before I can advertise (will give notice on the forum before I do).
MGCC Ulster Centre.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: TF 85 rear wing air vent replacement?

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:43 pm

Try Rimmer Bros. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-DHF000130LZW

Bezel - Air Intake - LH - Primed/Bright - DHF000130LZW - Genuine MG Rover. £82.08 inc VAT but ex delivery.

Next to impossible to get what you want - and exact replacement most likely impossible. Trim bits on any 2009 car are getting harder to source :roll:

If not your thing, a good body shop will sort out, find a matching grill mesh, spray and fit. Not what you want to hear probably - if not your choice try ebay.

Good luck :thumbsu:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:01 pm

Or just buy the bezel and upgrade the mesh to the TF version of these 😃
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175774871329 ... media=COPY

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Will check out eBay and other used sources, but it looks like the Rimmer one if I want new - although a bit difficult to tell if it is the same shape. Presume all TF models are the same after the change from the oval F version?
MGCC Ulster Centre.

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:55 pm

After examining the Rimmer diagrams I see the duct retainer seems to be screwed onto the bezel & is no longer obtainable. Will take the RH one out and examine to see if it is the same construction as the diagram. The inner duct moulding was still present, though loose in the wing cavity so I have it. Will try for a complete item used first. Thanks again for the pointers.
MGCC Ulster Centre.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:36 pm

TedTF85 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:55 pm
After examining the Rimmer diagrams I see the duct retainer seems to be screwed onto the bezel & is no longer obtainable. Will take the RH one out and examine to see if it is the same construction as the diagram. The inner duct moulding was still present, though loose in the wing cavity so I have it. Will try for a complete item used first. Thanks again for the pointers.
The part number I quoted above is correct, it says bright finish, which I guess refers to possibly a stainless mesh. Ring them to confirm if that uncertain.

There are no fixing screws, it all pushes into the body work on a TF. All TFs are the same. You were probably looking at the F vent which has a screw :roll: I wouldn't take the other one off, the plastic gets brittle with age and there is no need. The ducting in the middle is loose and can be wiggled out, but just take care if/when you get a replacement as they obviously just slot together. Will then need a firm, positive push with say the heel of your palm, and it all clicks into place.
Good luck.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:50 pm

Thanks for that Jerry. Have just had a look at a service procedure manual I have which details the removal & replacement of the "bezel". Their diagram does not incude the middle ducting shown in the Rimmer diagram, only the shaped one, which luckily remained in the wing cavity, so still have it. As you say it then gives instructions on prising out the "bezel" with a thin flat blade and replacing adhesive tape (presumably double sided, which appears to be the method of fastening.
Had no luck yet sourcing a used item, so will probably go ahead & order a new one in primer.
Side vent removal & replacement.pdf
(92.66 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
MGCC Ulster Centre.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:32 pm

Just some more bitter experience "advice". The leading edge of the vent has two male pegs which fit into holes in the bodywork. Again, as these parts are "new" but old, they get brittle so gently goes in assembly - pegs in first.
Have a couple of dry runs without the tape and and engaging with the middle ducting, not pushing in place - once you have got to grips with fitting it, just be firm and positive. If it all goes wrong and the pegs get mangled, use double sided tape, enough to securely hold in position.

Don't ask how I seem to know what to do :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:07 pm

Thanks Jerry, you obviously speak from experience! I did take a closer look at the now empty aperture and see the possible remains of one of the plastic plugs, which is probably a clue as to how the thing let go in the first place :wink: . I have ordered a used TF vent from MGFnTFBITZ a firm I have used before for used parts such as a windscreen washer pump - they are v good with great first hand product knowledge and easy to speak to on the phone. Will see what they send me as they queried the sticky tape fastening!
MGCC Ulster Centre.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:39 am

2nd hand from one of the usual suppliers most of us on the forums use plus an aerosol should do the trick. Not sure why you'd be looking at new when there are hundreds of good 2nd hand parts around. You might get lucky and get one in the right colour