TF Headlight mountings

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

TF Headlight mountings

Post by Deepfat » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:09 pm

The bottom mounts on the headlights have a white nylon mounting that is loose in its slot presumably to allow the light some movement when being adjusted? The light I want to fit has one missing, I have a scrap light (for bits) but can't see how to get the mount out, it appears if I can turn it 90 degrees it might pop out but it jams has anyone done this? The 1st picture shows the front, the two tabs top and bottom can be sprung but it jams on the left and right corners shown in the 1st picture, I suppose I could radius the corners but it obviously went in somehow. The 2nd picture shows the back and measuring as best I can it seems turning it by 90 would allow it to come out.
Looking again at the lights it appears I'm wrong about the adjustment as it appears to takes place internally so why are the bottom mounts a loose fit?
Attachments
1st picture
1st picture
2nd picture
2nd picture

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: TF Headlight mountings

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:39 am

A sliding mount may make up for any variation in body dimensions, but I don't think that this is the reason for this design. The short answer is I don't know, but having glanced a tyre barrier at the Prescott Hill climb last year, the impact was relatively minor, but it broke the headlamp mounting tabs. An insurance company would have insisted on headlamp replacement (I did replace mine, as I had a spare) - but if there was some capacity for the mounts to take up some movement, then it would not necessarily break, and it would cost insurance repair costs.

Just a theory.