2002 tf exhaust

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jonno0505
MGF Register Region: South East

2002 tf exhaust

Post by jonno0505 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:45 pm

Hi I have recently got a 2002 tf which I hope to save from the breakers . Body wise its not in bad nick & quite useable needing a good clean . Subframes look okay & are presently being cleaned up & treated with lanogaurd . On removing the exhaust for better access & replacement, I have got on the left hand tailpipe a vacuum module which looks new . The activation rod has been disconnected & the flap has been cable tied either open or closed so unit is doing nothing . On looking for a new exhaust I cant find one with this fitted . Any info on this would be very appreciated Thanks Jonno

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: 2002 tf exhaust

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:53 pm

It was part of the "drive by" regulations.

Have a look at http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/exhaust/TF_evc.htm

I'd be surprised if there any still working :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

jonno0505

Post by jonno0505 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Thanks

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:46 pm

mgtfnut wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:53 pm

I have a 2002 TF which still has the original Cat & Exhaust, complete with a fully working pipe-closing valve, on the Right-hand (drivers side) pipe. It is low mileage (26k), and only one PO, who seems to have looked after it very well, but there must be a few others around with original exhausts and working systems??

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:30 am

EllsoJo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:46 pm
mgtfnut wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:53 pm

I have a 2002 TF which still has the original Cat & Exhaust, complete with a fully working pipe-closing valve, on the Right-hand (drivers side) pipe. It is low mileage (26k), and only one PO, who seems to have looked after it very well, but there must be a few others around with original exhausts and working systems??
Our exhaust crumbled fairly quickly and was replaced with a Mike Satur Daytona system. Just turned over 100k and it's still going strong - I suspect many cars have been "converted" to aftermarket exhaust systems by now.
Good to know there are some low mileage TF's out there with all their original bits.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Chris Tideswell » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:46 pm

When I bought my 2002 TF it was only 2.5 years old, the valve had been disabled I suspect by the original dealer at PDI.

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:37 pm

My 02 TF on 29K has the valve (disabled) and I presume is the original box which means it was 21 on the 8th Jan this year and is still in good nick.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:42 am

Loads of folks made this mod in period - it makes for a more characterful exhaust note at all times. From memory, MG Rover deleted the system later - probably because it was more expensive than strictly needed to pass drive-by noise emissions tests needed for homologation. I am sure they found an easier solution. But it was quite a cool system - and pre-dates the current fad for "Sports mode" on modern sporting cars. 8-)

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:25 pm

I think there is a bit of a myth about what the valve on the exhaust does, and any affect on performance. It was only there to pass the 'Drive By' noise test of the time. Engineers were told the test had to be passed so made it pass, the same way the VW engineers made diesel engines pass the emissions test. That is pass the test, not make less emissions, hence diesel gate. MG Rover engineers did the same with the noise drive by test, pass the test, not make a quiet exhaust.

The drive by test was from right to left at eight meters I think, so nearest exhaust pipe was chosen (R/H) for test.
The ECU was to detect test conditions and close valve on R/H exhaust. That was coolant fully warm, speed 30mph, 2nd gear selected and throttle position held for 30 seconds. I am sure the rule book was pages long , but that is the abridged version. Under any other conditions the valve was wide open unless jammed shut. Default position was wide open.

That's the way engineers work, look at F1. First how do we get best results, second how to be pass the rules in doing it. :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:04 pm

All true - and if you look at http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/exhaust/TF_evc.htm you'll see that we tested a car on Dave Walker's rolling Road (Emerald, Northfolk), and found that whether the valve was open or closed, it made no difference whatsoever to performance other than to the volume of noise :D