MOT Emissions Fail

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Airbusguy
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

MOT Emissions Fail

Post by Airbusguy » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:13 am

Hi, I'm hoping someone had help me with this. My car is an MGF SE 1.8 VVC, delivered 9/2000. It has been dealer serviced annually from new, has 27,300 miles to date, is kept in my garage and in VGC! The problem is that 2 weeks ago it failed the MOT on emissions, see attached FAIL certificate. The station suggested I take it for a high RPM run, put a petrol additive in the tank, and bring it back for retest. I took it for a 40 minute run having first filled up with BP Ultimate 97 RON but did not use an additive.
Now at this stage I should mention that of late I’d been having an erratic engine RPM problem. Quite often the RPM wouldn’t return to its normat 950 value but would stick at anything up to 2200 rpm. I’d checked that the throttle cable was fully returning. Also I’d repeatedly been doing the IACV resetting procedure which always worked for a while, but then the problem would re-occur. Anyway, back at the MOT station I did it once more and they rechecked the emissions – in fact they were happy for me to watch the technician.

He was an older guy who clearly knew his job, and he tried for 40 minutes to get some good readings. Finally, he did manage to get the Fast Idle Test results within the acceptable limits – I’ve no idea what he did – and gave me a PASS. The certificate shows it failed on the 1st Fast Idle Test but passed on the 2nd, hmmm. I spoke to him later; he suggested I had an after market catalytic convertor (I’m sure I haven’t), he also said he didn’t think the lambda sensor was the problem.

So, I have an MOT pass for this year, but the RPM problem persists, which I assume is linked to the emissions difficulty.

From the above can anyone suggest where the problem lies?
Attachments
MOT Cert.pdf
(451.32 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: MOT Emissions Fail

Post by Chris Tideswell » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:21 am

What exhaust back box do you have fitted?

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:44 am

If you haven't done so already search for IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) on this and the other MGF forums. Much is written about it's symptoms and cure.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:33 am

Looking at the data from the emissions test, and that it the lambda eventually comes into range, I think that this is your catalytic converter on its last legs and is now failing.

The carbon monoxide is high, that can point to an inefficient burn, but the Lambda and hydrocarbons are normal, so this is unlikely.

The other reason for a high CO is that the CO (and NOx, which is not measured in an MoT test) is not being oxidised - and hence the likely explanation that the catalyst has failed (or a previous owner has removed the catalytic converter - but that would probably only apply if the car were new to you!)

The catalysts on MGFs are generally extremely reliable in my experience. The one on my car (owned since new), has over 120k miles and 27 years of use, and still works fine. But the internals can shatter and disintegrate.

I'd aim to find a decent quality replacement if you can - some aftermarket catalysts are not hugely well designed and can lead to reduced power due to poor gas flow.
Exhaust gas analysis interpretation.png
Above is a screenshot of a spreadsheet I created some while back - one day, I shall make a script and put it on my website, but unfortunately, I currently have no editing access to the server since Steffan's server crashed, and the version that is currently online is an older version that is now 10 years old :o

Airbusguy
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Airbusguy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:19 am

Rob, thanks for your reply, but would or could a failing catalyst also cause the erratic idle rpm problem I have? As I said I can get this high idle speed back to normal for a while with the IACV resetting procedure, before it returns after a few days.

Chris, In answer to your question about the back box, I don't know but I assume with 27K miles it is the original factory fitted item. It doesn't leak to my knowledge.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:22 pm

No, the erratic idle probably is not related to the emissions problems that have been documented. Ockham's razor suggests that the two should be linked, but a car can have as many problems as it likes... :(