MG TF Fails to start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MGDave
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

MG TF Fails to start

Post by MGDave » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:03 pm

Hi Folks, hoping for some guidance. I have a 2003 MG TF that we have had since new. Recently it has let us down. It is always after we have driven somewhere, never at first start up. when returning to the car it will start with very low revs that fluctuate, then when you hit the throttle it will die. If you then try and start again it will just crank and crank. Leave it 5 minutes and it will turn over again but will again have a low erratic idle and then cut out.

It has let me down twice now and both times I have had it recovered to garages, when they get round to look at it it starts first time, no fault codes and no indications to any problem. The second garage had just called me saying there is nothing wrong and I can collect.

I am fearful, as this is my wifes car, that she will be left stranded somewhere...

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a solution?

All my fingers and toes crossed..

David

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: MG TF Fails to start

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:42 am

Hi David - interesting that the hot idle speed is too low - I wonder whether the idle control valve is sticking? It may need replacing if so, but potentially may respond to a good clean in carb or brake cleaner?

MGDave

Post by MGDave » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:50 pm

Thanks Rob, I refused to collect the car as there is a fault. They have now changed the engine temp sensor and I have taken the car back. Done several trips out, returning home before turning off, leaving and trying to start again, to avoid more recovery issues. So far, touching wood, it has started every time and not missed a beat.... fingers crossed this was the issue

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:04 pm

I've not come across the engine temperature sender causing a hot start problem on an MGF/TF before. A bit odd - a temperature sender issue usually gives a high idle when the engine is warm along with excess fuel consumption, as the ECU "thinks" the engine is still cold, and it essentially doing the same thing as holding open the choke on a classic car. I am not sure how the problem you've described fits into this failure mode, but it is good to know that the car is now behaving itself! :)

MGDave

Post by MGDave » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:51 pm

I hear you Rob, however, my youthful memories of forgetting to put the choke in and have cars lose power through over fuelling and not enough air, did remind me of the symptoms. I am still very nervous and so making sure that any trips end either at home or close and safe enough that I can walk home and back to pick it up later.

So far though, touching wood, it still behaving itself and so confidence is growing...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:26 pm

Fingers crossed Dave! :)