Dicky dipstick

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
johncooper
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Dicky dipstick

Post by johncooper » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:38 pm

I went to check the oil in my car this morning and the dipstick was somewhat reluctant to come out. I gave it a tug and twisted it round and eventually it came out. However, it won't go back in. About 13" goes in but it comes across a solid feeling blockage. Any one any ideas.
I thought that perhaps the tube leading down to the engine may have come adrift in some way, is this possible?
Being old and decrepit I find it almost impossible to get under the car to check, I can't see anything from the top.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Would it be safe to drive the car, I want to go the Vintage Register 100 celebrations at Frilford on Saturday.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Dicky dipstick

Post by Chris Tideswell » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:35 pm

The remote filler and dipstick are in two parts, there is a normal pipe coming from the engine block and this is connected into the plastic filler. It is quite possible that the parts have come adrift. with a screwdriver it is possible to remove the top of the filler and shine a light into it to see if you can see anything inside.

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:53 pm

Got to say I find the dipstick weird, sometimes it goes straight back in and at other times it jams and I have to remove it turn it a bit and then it goes in. You could try turning it a bit each time and see if it slips in at some point, you might be lucky if not you've only wasted 5 min.
On a similar note watching on line it seems a lot of modern engines don't have a dipstick the dash tells you its loe!! and as you top it up I presume it says "just a little bit", "a little bit more", "no you dipstick too much"

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:14 pm

Chris Tideswell wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:35 pm
The remote filler and dipstick are in two parts, there is a normal pipe coming from the engine block and this is connected into the plastic filler. It is quite possible that the parts have come adrift. with a screwdriver it is possible to remove the top of the filler and shine a light into it to see if you can see anything inside.
This sounds like the most likely thing Chris, I agree!