New Owner- Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
JeremyC
MGF Register Region: South Coast

New Owner- Tyres

Post by JeremyC » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:54 pm

I've just bough an F to have some fun in while my AH Sprite is off the road for an engine rebuild. The F is an early one, chassis number under 2000, supplied Feb 1996. I'm the third owner and it's done 42k.

It is on 15" wheels and currently has 205 Rotalla Setula on the back (virtually new, put on by the previos owner to get it though an MoT) and ten year old 195 on the front. I defnitely need to change the fron ones but I am also minded to do the back ones as I understand the car needs tyres appropriate to being mid-engined. So I have some questions:

i) Is the 205 Rear, 195 Front really necessary or can I go 195 front and back? (or 205 all round though I don't like too much tyre (that said, it's only 5%))
ii) The Toyo Proxes TR1 seems to be a popular choice at the moment. Should I be considering anything else?
iii) Anything else I should know about tyres for Fs? What pressures do people run?

Many thanks.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: New Owner- Tyres

Post by RobboMC » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:30 am

G'Day Jeremy,

When I bought my car it had 195/50 tyres front and rear. They were quite new so I drove the car for 2-3 years until I wore them out.
I decided to go for the 185/55 Front and 205/50 rear set-up as listed on the tyre placard in the car.

I could tell the car felt so much better already on the way home from getting the tyres fitted!

I got Falken ZE914's and I find them very good. I understand Yokohama now have tyres in these 2 sizes ( V701 ?? ) ,
my son has them on his MR2 and says they are fantastic. I think they will wear faster than the Falkens though.

For my money - get the 185/55 Front and 205/50 rear if you can.

As for pressures, use whatever is on the tyre placard in the centre console. Generally the fronts are lower than the rear.

JeremyC
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by JeremyC » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:47 am

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.

HAving slept on it I've decided to replace the fronts now (probably with the Toyos as they seem much more readily available) and see how the Rotalla's on the back perform. They seem to be a mid-market tyre rather than budget so they may be OK. Plus having just bought the car another £180 is more palatable than another £400.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:56 pm

I have Toyos on the front of my TF (16") and Greenlanders on the back. 26psi front 36psi rear. They are really sure footed, good cornering. I will reduce the rears to 33psi soon as many have said it softens the ride without any downside.

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:06 pm

I just checked and Toyo Proxes TR1 205/50/15 are £82 each from the RAC including fitting, 185/50/15 TR1's are £64.39 a total of £293 for four tyres.
These prices were straight off Ebay and were the cheapest ones including fitting. If you are prepared to do the leg work it can be cheaper to buy them posted to you and then find a local tyre fitter.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:18 pm

Keep with the standard tyre pressures (I typically run 28psi front and rear on an MGF - the TF is quite different).

For tyres, the answer is what is your budget. I'd typically replace all four at the same time, and go for the best performance tyres you can find in the correct sizes. 185/55 R15 has been a rare size for some time, but you can use 195/50 R15 without problems. I've even used 205/50 R15 front and rear without issues, but I did not like the steering feel so much with that combination (although it is hard to disentangle the tyre size from the brand/tyre type in my comparisons).

For fun, you can see the results of my previous experience and tyre surveys here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/tyres/index.htm

Unfortunately, these surveys are also very old. The tyres on my MGF currently are 205/45 R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3s front and rear - and these seem to suit the MG very well :) Sadly Michelin Pilot Sport 4/ 4S are not available for MGF tyre sizes when I last checked - and this [lack of available ultra high performance tyres for the MGF/TF] may be an increasing problem going forward :(