Dipped beam behaviour

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MAXTHEDOG
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Dipped beam behaviour

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:55 am

Hi All,
Not been out and about in the MG lately. Went out in it to give it little run that required lights on.
So, ignition on and engine running while put the seatbelt on, I switched straight to dipped beam but only the weedy sides came on. Switched off and on again, straight to dipped and they were on. Thinking about it I seem remember it might have done this before earlier in the year when the days were longer. I seem to remember thinking headlights aren’t up to much but it wasn’t very dark. Is there an issue with the switches getting a bit dodgy if they’re not used much.
Cheers,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k
MY2006 Freelander Td4. - 151k

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Dipped beam behaviour

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:23 pm

Not had an issue with an F or TF, but the light switch on my BGT can sometimes not work if unused for a period as the contacts become dirty through no use. A few on / offs tends to clean the contacts.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

MAXTHEDOG
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:19 am

Thanks for that information Nigel.
I’ll try to remember to exercise it a few times and see how it goes.
Regards,
Michael.
MY2003 MG TF160. - 61k
MY2006 Freelander Td4. - 151k

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:20 pm

I've not encountered this one either - but may also be a sticky headlight relay? The column switches do seem to be extremely reliable in my experience.