teaching a learner - manual

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

teaching a learner - manual

Post by RobboMC » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:26 am

I am teaching my daughter to drive, so far in my Automatic 'day car'
We would like her to get a manual licence, which means teaching her to drive the F. :sf:

Is there any risk of doing damage by stalling the car?

Now even I stalled it the other cold morning so stalling it once or twice won't be an issue,
but what about repeated and possibly rougher treatment by a learner?

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: teaching a learner - manual

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:32 pm

I doubt it, as long as your clutch is in good order. I taught plenty of learners in a previous life. If they can master clutch control, then the rest is easy.
Just be careful you don't cook it teaching hill starts!

Remember the phrase "Now listen to me before one of us dies!" (Blackadder)

Best of luck. Honestly. Teaching family members is the worst...

If you can show her what happens when you depress the clutch pedal, and how a clutch separates the engine from the transmission you're half way there.

I hear, I listen
I see, I understand
I do, I learn.

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:13 pm

Twenty four years ago tomorrow I started to teach my eldest son to drive. Every Sunday morning we would do about an eighty mile circuit, starting out over the Blackdown Hills to Honiton, then up the A30 to Yeovil and then back through Taunton and home. It was a mix of country B roads, main A roads dual carriageways, five towns, roundabouts and traffic lights. He did hill starts and three point turns at home un accompanied, he got fed up doing it before I did, took his test and passed.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:45 pm

I saved a ZR115 for this purpose - the clutch is a little heavy on it. May be a bit of car arthritis - need to investigate - but otherwise, I would have though the MG would have made an excellent learner vehicle! :D

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:11 pm

I remember teaching my step-son on my BGT. His first time behind the wheel, he let the clutch out without hesitation. I said to him: "analog, not digital." He looked at me and I explained that he was so use to playing video games where you are either on or off, whereas the clutch must be gradual, feel the bit of the clutch. I was surprised how well my analog vs digital analogy worked.
Mark