Central locking

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Niv2
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Central locking

Post by Niv2 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:51 pm

I have recently acquired a 2003 MGTF 135. The central locking is not working either on the remote or with the key. The pektron relays were replaced by previous owner about a year ago. I have taken the pektron control unit out and have found that three wires have been cut and isolated on the drivers side of the unit for some reason. I guess these were done by one of the 2 previous owners for some reason and I assume that rejoining them might reactivate central locking….however I have no access to a wiring diagram so am not sure.
Does anyone know whether these wires control contain locking?
Can anyone give me some advice as to what to do?
IMG_2521.jpeg

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Central locking

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Difficult to know whether these are the CL cables as the colour of the cables are obscurred by tape. We need to find you the connector diagram for the Pektron unit - one of the bits of information I do not have unfortunately. Can anyone help?

It'll probably be on a RAVE disc.

Quick google search reveals that this is what that plug should look like (appear to be the same colours as yours from what little I can see behind the tape):

These cables correlate to the central locking and deadlocking functions - see section of 2003 TF wiring loom diagram below:
central_locking_2003.png
Therefore, I think you're right: a PO has likely deactivated the CL by severing the wires so the system would not deadlock them out of the car. Whether the Pektron has been refurbished is thus a moot point - and for my own reassurance, I would send it off to Paul at Technozen (you'll find his service on eBay). I have used Paul's service before, and he really is excellent with a very rapid turn round time. He completely repaired a 2003 ZR Pektron, restoring horn, rear fog and a bunch of other things that I needed to get the car restored and back on the road.

Another company offering a similar service is https://www.remobilise.co.uk/ - not tried this chap though, but others can comment.

Hope this helps! :D

Niv2

Post by Niv2 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:47 pm

I found the control unit was refurbished by Remobilise and Kev there has been very helpful. I have reconnected the wires and traced a fault to the drivers side latch where I think one of the micro switches in the unit may have failed….there may be other issues as the electric motor just spins when locking activated. I am thinking a replacement latch is required!
Incidentally there are signs of disturbance in the door and it seems someone has been there before trying to sort this issue out, probably when the wires were cut.

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:28 am

The MK2 TF has the usual lock function plus a separately wired additional deadlock function. A number of owners have experienced malfunctions with both the deadlock part of the latches and the deadlock associated circuitry locking one or both of the doors shut in a way that could only be corrected by considerable time and trouble. Some of those owners have then disconnected the deadlock circuit to ensure it cannot recur and there have been other MK2 owners, aware of these experiences, that have taken the step to disconnect their own deadlocks to avoid risk of a similar fate. I am.indeed intending to do that on my MK2 TF when the weather improves.
i must confess that the thought of someone going to the trouble to reconnect a deadlock circuit that has been intentionally disconnected by the previous owner is something i would urge caution and careful reflection about. Restoring a failed normal central locking function is certainly worthwhile but restoring an intentionally disconnected deadlock is not something I would advocate as beneficial. There is some doubt whether a deadlock on a convertible was worthwhile even when the cars were new. This many years on and with the feature's reputation for unreliability outweighing it's usefulness the deadlock is probably as worth having as an ashtray on a motorbike

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 pm

Niv2 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:47 pm
I found the control unit was refurbished by Remobilise and Kev there has been very helpful. I have reconnected the wires and traced a fault to the drivers side latch where I think one of the micro switches in the unit may have failed….there may be other issues as the electric motor just spins when locking activated. I am thinking a replacement latch is required!
Incidentally there are signs of disturbance in the door and it seems someone has been there before trying to sort this issue out, probably when the wires were cut.
Yes - sounds like the driver's door lock is misbehaving - and it is a bit of a pain to muck around with the internal microswitches.

Niv2

Post by Niv2 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am

I eventually got this sorted. Turns out a plastic pivot point to one of the levers inside the actual drivers door latch mechanism had snapped. I obtained a good 2nd hand latch and reconnected the wires and now all is working as it should.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:12 am

Thanks for the update - really helpful :thumbsu: