Unknown Engine Temp

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgf15
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Unknown Engine Temp

Post by mgf15 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:39 am

Hi All, since buying my 97' MGF, I've found the engine temp gauge reads real low (barely moves) but occasionally does go up to about 1/4, then seems to drop again. I removed the sensor wire and grounded it out with the IGN on and the gauge moves full scale. So I assume the gauge is functioning normal. I assumed the sensor was the issue, so I bought a replacement. Now fitted, I ran the engine but the gauge again hardly moved. This time it didn't even go up to 1/4 like before. I've got a multimeter that can read temp, so i attached the sensor wire to the water outlet housing (same as where the factory temp sensor mounts). I ran to engine to almost 100c, but no movement on the gauge! Odd thing is the radiator fans didn't come on either? They worked fine last time I drove the car. Do they take their signal from the same temp sensor? Any suggestions on what might be going on?
Thanks, BB

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: Unknown Engine Temp

Post by EllsoJo » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:03 am

I remember reading somewhere that there are TWO engine temp sensors, one for the gauge, and another for the ECU for engine mixture management & control of cooling fan(s). A picture of a K series out of the car is attached:
Coolant temp & oil pressure sensor locations
Coolant temp & oil pressure sensor locations
I seem to remember that the colours of these changed at some time, so you have to get the right one for the age of your car. Also they can be damaged if twisted?? May be wrong there!

mgf15

Post by mgf15 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I bought this one as the replacement for the temp gauge sensor. Have I made a mistake?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-MEK100061P

Thanks,

BB

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:50 am

The only "Safe" answer I can give is: Sorry, not sure. What will be more helpful to you is the suggestion of searching this site by entering something like "Temperature Sensors" into the search box (Top Right of the opening page when you are on this Forum).

I did that and a lot of useful information and relevant threads appeared. You will have to choose which threads apply to your (Presumably Mk1) 1997 MGF.
Good luck!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:39 am

mgf15 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 pm
Thanks for the reply. I bought this one as the replacement for the temp gauge sensor. Have I made a mistake?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-MEK100061P
I think so yes. I have to say that the Rimmer Bros diagram is extraordinarily unhelpful in this instance - although actually not their fault, as they have lifted the original RAVE parts diagram from Rover to build their website. As EllsoJo says, there are two coolant temperature sensors used on our cars, both mounted on the water outlet stub at the top of the cylinder head. One is for the temperature gauge, while the other is for the ECU to adjust ignition timing etc. I think you've replaced the latter rather than the former. The sensor you need, on the Rimmer's diagram, is part 25.

mgf15

Post by mgf15 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:45 am

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply. Yes the Rimmer Bros website and details are a bit sketchy to say the least. I'm not sure sensor #25 is the right one either. When I checked the description at the bottom of that page for sensor #25 it says its the "audible warning temp sensor". The one I bought has a description that says "switch has a black plug but it is a replacement for the brown plug as supplied by MG Rover and Land Rover". And it appears recent research indicates that the original brown sensor is the one for the engine ECU not the gauge? I asked Rimmer Bros to confirm but I'm still waiting for an answer. Very confusing for such a simple job! Surely someone has bought a gauge sensor recently? :D
BB

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:59 am

Try looking at Dieter's site

http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/1524.htm

I replaced one of them years ago, and have forgotten which is which :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:08 pm

mgtfnut wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:59 am
Try looking at Dieter's site

http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/1524.htm

I replaced one of them years ago, and have forgotten which is which :roll:
me too - but the wiring colours on Dieter's website should resolve the question, although which if the sensors to order from Rimmers is another question! :roll: