MGF Headlamp upgrade.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

MGF Headlamp upgrade.

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:27 am

I am somewhat fortunate that living in the south of France, the weather is generally not bad, and winter driving is a thing of the past. However, when I do occasionally have to take the MGF out in the dark the quality of the headlamps is (when compared to a modern) somewhat lacking. The car whilst RHD has had the headlamps replaced by a previous owner, to LHD format. (albeit pre-2008 when I bought the car).

Here, the "Contrôle Technique" only takes place every two years, so making the most of Amazon's Black Friday offers I treated myself to a set of 4 LED headlamp bulbs in H1 format. They are claimed to have 22000 Lumens output (for a pair) but I doubt it. What is clear is that the light emitted is far brighter and better than an incandescent bulb, so as far as I'm concerned it's money well spent. I also have COB Leds for the front sidelights and LED at the rear for side, brake and fogs.

I doubt whether the MOT tester will be bothered about the rear lights but I will keep the old Osram Nightbreaker incandescent bulbs as spares and swap them back at MOT time, because of course the new LEDs don't carry CE marks, but what the hell. I'd rather see better -

and I can.

The Duke of Wellington is credited with saying " Rules are made for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men"

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: MGF Headlamp upgrade.

Post by RobboMC » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:24 am

Could you please post a link to the item?

Down under there's no brightness checking, ( at my local anyway )
they just check that some light comes out of the headlights :lol: :lol:

The later models have such bright headlights, and some so high off the ground,
no-one will bother or care if a little MG has brighter globes.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:30 am

Would be interesting to see the light pattern from the new bulbs :) This was always my great concern with HID bulbs when they were the all the rage 10 years ago.

I won't go into the whole legal argument of non-halogen bulbs; as you say, not E-marked - so "off road use" only ;)

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:45 am

This is the link to what I bought. I paid 32€ for a pair, but that was during Black Friday - as you can see they've gone up...

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0C9LQPVNG?ref ... tails&th=1

The beam pattern is exactly the same as it was for the Osram Nightbreakers. The units are LHD set-up so the asymmetric beam cut-off is to the right and not the left as in is for RHD cars. Main beam is even better because it's not compromised by the extra glass in the dip beam format.

The LED bulb "filament" is in the same place as it is in an incandescent bulb so the beam pattern is unaffected. No one has flashed me so I guess there's no annoying beam scatter.

If I get a chance I will get the car out one night & take some pics. You can take the promo pics in the ad with a pinch of salt, but they ARE better than standard. It was a bit of a gamble because you never know, but I am more than satisfied.

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:57 pm

My French isn’t great 😌 Could this be the one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134776977185 ... media=COPY

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:36 pm

To be honest you don't need the Canbus protection on the MGF that's usually for later cars to prevent the on board computer flagging up a failed bulb, due to the fact that LEDs draw very little current compared to a normal incandescent one. However, they may not fit - you need a replacement bulb with the locating plate the same shape (ie circular with a slice cut off and a dimple for location.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie= ... %26psc%3D1
Last edited by Reckless Rat on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:40 pm

Steve, if you're looking for the car in your avatar pic, the H1s are not OK for the TF - the TF uses H7 bulbs (dual terminal connection).

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:41 pm

Thanks Reckless. Just trying to find bargains for you F owners 😉😂

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:59 am

Right guys here we are. Last night I managed to take the car out for a run. I tried to take a couple of pics of dip & main beam on the open road but there was just too much tarffic about until I got off the main road onto the lane that leads to the house, so it's basically a singe track. The first pic is the dip beam, showing the asymmetrical cut off lighting up the wall at the side of the lane:

The second one is of the main beam:

Hope that helps.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:18 am

But !! Are they VOSA or the French equivalent Approved ???
In the UK nobody bothers but in France and particularly Switzerland they do.
The current new lights are made in Taiwan (originals being French). They are VOSA approved.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:02 pm

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. They work and are far better than "proper" bulbs.

I shall swap them out for the old ones come Contrôle Technique time (which is not until June 24) and then put the LEDs back in afterwards. In the meantime I will make discreet and diligent enquiries as to whether the French system/testers are actually bothered.

I did say earlier that they're not E marked, so you pay your money and you take your chance.I have no connection with the seller/promoters.

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:41 pm

If someone could come up with a conversion to F headlamps to be as good as TF lamps I'd be tempted to retro retro fit an F front end

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:14 pm

Notanumber wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:41 pm
If someone could come up with a conversion to F headlamps to be as good as TF lamps I'd be tempted to retro retro fit an F front end
Lots of folks have previously fitted projectors inside the MGF lamp bowl - but it does change the "classic" look of the MGF...