Heated rear window terminal and HT colour

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
TD2C
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Heated rear window terminal and HT colour

Post by TD2C » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:49 pm

Good afternoon all. I have found a HT for the StepSpeed locally, which will certainly extend our use of the car further into the Winter. It is very noticeable that the car does feel more rigid with the HT fitted, and luckily has cleaned up well. I will do the headlining in the Spring! A question for you, please. One of the terminals has parted company with the hrw, and going on line, this seems to be a wide spread problem, not just with the F/TF, with a multitude of solutions. Has anyone experience of such a repair, and the various magic potions on offer to do the job?
A second question. I hope the attached picture is sufficiently clear. The hard top is slightly darker grey than the 2005 Step Speed, and came off a 2003 car. I don't have the paint code for the donor car, and am pleased with the way the two colours work together (more to the point, a certain lady also thinks it looks good!!). There are a couple of scratches to repair (it is far too good to need painting), but I don't know precisely what the colour is called, its code, or a source of touch up paint for this era of MGR cars. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks
Attachments
20231125_132742.jpg

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Heated rear window terminal and HT colour

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 pm

Hard to tell from the photo, but the hardtop could be XPower grey.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:21 pm

+1 for X Power Grey. It does looks very good on your silver car. Suffice to say anyone not familiar with the MGF will assume it was intentional and even some who are familiar with them.will wonder if its a special edition they just havent seen before.

I had the same problem with a terminal missing from the screen on the hardtop I bought. There was no sign of the missing part so I found a spade terminal that would fit the cable and set out working out how to attach it to the screen. There are surprisingly very few products available for this job. On Ebay I bought an American made 2 part conductive glue that wasnt cheap and turned out to be a pain to apply and failed as soon as I went to connect the cable. In the end I cleaned up a patch of the conductive strrip on the window and carefully soldered the new terminal to it with a soldering iron and normal electrical cored solder. It took a couple of attempts but worked. I then made sure to anchor the cable to the hardtop so that there wouldn't be any future risk of strain being put on the terminal again.

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:16 pm

I’m for Xpower grey as well.
Goes really well with your silver TF. I’ve got the same colour TF and have a black and a silver HT but prefer the black. The paint on top of the black one was not great so I stuck a matt black Union Jack on it 🤣
Attachments
EEEA1A73-CE21-479B-BCC2-D3BC18F89F07.jpeg
Last edited by Steve55 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:20 pm

PS I’ve got a snapped spade terminal on the silver one. I too have bought conductive glue but waiting for the weather to warm before I have a go at it.