dashboard rattle

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

dashboard rattle

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:22 pm

Need your advice please. I thought at first it was something rattling inside the glove box, but it isn't. The glove box is securely fixed, but there is an annoying rattle behind the dashboard on the nearside and I can't figure out what it is. I've pulled off the false airbag panel and looked inside but there's nothing amiss in there. Any ideas?

The noise is road surface related.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: dashboard rattle

Post by Notanumber » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:14 pm

I had something similar when i first drove my previous TF. In my case it turned out to be the wide plastic cover on the bonnet side of the bulkhead being loose. The rattle had sounded just as though it was in the passenger compartment. Check yours ( if fitted) is fully secured.

Check the fresh air vent on yours. Its seen under the bonnet on the passenger side and pushes air downwards into the interior heater duct. On Fs and early TFs the standard was a large airbox that had a metal deflector plate on its top which can rust and become loose. Later TFs had a smaller less fussy 'snorkel' arrangement that is often retro fitted to earlier cars.

Otherwise there isn't very much kit behind the passenger side dash itself other than the duct to the side vent. The heater box, scu and cabling etc is all behind the centre part of the dash.

An infamous source of rattles in F and TFs is the instrument cowling. The clips that hold the curved edge down to the top of the dash always fail and it clatters against the dash to a greater or lesser extent.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. If the weather is OK tomorrow I will get the car out and have another look - I can't get access while it's in the garage as I can't get the door open wide enough due to other 'toys' in there. I think I will first of all check the n/s damper top mounting and if that's OK then I will take the glove box out completely and see what's what.

I thought at first that it was the box for the front of the radio that was rattling about but even with a fully empty glove box and the door wide open the rattle was still there. Certainly sounds like it's right behind the air vent. How does the air vent come out? Do I just prise it out or is there a specific place to release a tag or something? I don't want to break it.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:06 am

The saga continues... today I have removed the glovebox completely and done a short road test. The rattle is still there. This afternoon I shall jack the car up and see if there is anything amiss underneath. As has been said there is very little actually behind the dashboard, but I will also remove the air vent and see if that makes any difference. I'm so frustrated!

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 pm

I think I might have sorted it. Having ruled out anything underneath I finally came across what I think is the source of the rattle - wear in the nearside bonnet hinge. Not much but enough to allow some movement. I have "readjusted" it and put some rubber sponge packing between the bonnet edge underside and the n/s wing. It seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:58 pm

Last year one of my bonnet hinges rattled more than usual. A few drops of oil normally quietened it up for a bit, but I went mad and replaced both hinges - now silence.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:31 pm

I think if the problem re-appears I will take the hinge off and replace the pivot, which is rivetted in place and has no scope for adjustment. I have a lathe in the garage and turning up a new pivot pin shouldn't be too much of a challenge and will probably be easier & cheaper than trying to get a UK sourced part (new or second hand) sent out here post Brexit.

Tomorrow's job is putting the glove box back in, which isn't easy given my vertigo. I think I will use some new self-tappers with washers to spread the load as the ones that came out are a bit tired.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:22 pm

Everything back in, but for some reason the glove-box light wasn't working I changed the bulb (which had gone) but still not working. Then I had my Homer Simpson moment and switched on the sidelights...

Doh!!!