Can anyone recommend a reliable outdoor cover?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
DwightThomas
MGF Register Region: United States of America

Can anyone recommend a reliable outdoor cover?

Post by DwightThomas » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:32 am

I'm a new owner of an MGF and just joined the forum. Currently, I need to keep the car outside. Can anyone recommend a reliable outdoor cover? I've come across a few on eBay but would prefer suggestions from the community. Thanks for any assistance!

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Can anyone recommend a reliable outdoor cover?

Post by Notanumber » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:03 pm

Before I built a garage I used a Stormforce breathable car cover i had originally bought for a larger classic. It has given several years of good service though is now starting to look a bit worn. It came with straps that tighten under the vehicle and I also have their optional padlockable security under-strap though i havent used that for a while

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:25 pm

A lot will depend on where you are in the States. No doubt there'll be a suitable product available your side of the pond. What you should strive for is protection from the weather but with sufficient ventilation to prevent condensation inside the car. You can get silica gel dryers from the DIY store to keep the damp at bay.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:25 pm

Hi Dwight, Where are you located in the US? I'm in Canada, about an hour away from Detroit.

I can't recommend a full cover, mine live in the garage, but if you are looking for something that protects the hood and glass, to keep rain out, I can highly recommend Sunmate cover made by Mike Satur, we have there covers for both of our Fs/
https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/Sunmate-Tot ... Hood-Cover
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:10 am

I have the sunmate, and it is great at keeping the weather off the roof and out of the car. It won't protect the painwork of course, as it is a small cover for the roof and windscreen.

Outdoor covers are available from a number of sources. I've used Halfords own brand ones - which are fine, but like all outdoor covers, only last a few years before breaking down.