Hard top leaking on MGTF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Marge
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Hard top leaking on MGTF

Post by Marge » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:09 am

Hi and Happy New Year!

I’m new to this! I’ve an MGTF 135 2005. I’ve got the hard top on for winter but I’ve noticed the rubber edge on the drivers side which is supposed to form a seal with the door glass is allowing water in, so needs replacing.
Any ideas where I get a replacement please? Rimmer Bros no longer supply!
Many thanks
Margaret

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Hard top leaking on MGTF

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm

Might not be as simple as replacing the seal if you can find one. Quiet often the soft top and the hard top have different "profiles" and can be infuriating to sort out. It's taken a few years to get to the stage where both roofs fit sort of properly!

A few things to check: have the door hinges worn and can the handle end of the door be pulled upwards to reveal worn hinges, which makes the door drop and the seal less likely to have enough contact to seal effectively. New hinges or adjustment to make the door shut lines look more neat.
Then you can adjust the window height - but this takes endless trial and error. Guides are available on the web, factory one are best.
You can also try lowering the hardtop catches at the rear, which will lower the rear of the roof slightly and increase pressure on the window seal contact - this would be my first option :thumbsu:
The cars left the factory most probably ok, but wear/ tear over the years gives rise to these annoying glitches! It can be intensely long winded and frustrating to get to an satisfactory conclusion, but try all the easy things first :roll:

New door seals are one of the very few spare parts no longer made, tooling costs appear to be prohibitive - but it is probably important enough for some people to get rid of the car - I've been tempted a couple times, but this is part of the fun of having a MG-R car :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Marge
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by Marge » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:48 pm

Hi and very many thanks!
I had the door hinges replaced last year because the door had dropped. I’m a bit loathed to raise the door glass because I don’t have this problem with the soft top.
I’ll see if I can lower the hard top catches at the rear but I’ve also sent off for some black rubber edging which I’m going to try to wedge in to the folds of the hard top rubber to push it out more.
Many thanks again!
Margaret

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:49 pm

I think it is just something we have to work with.

I had to raise my window stops in order to make a proper seal with the hardtop despite the height being fine for the soft top. There is every chance I will find the windows will be too high now when i go back to the soft top but if thats the case i will just adjust them again to suit. Once youve done it once It only takes half an hour to remove both door cards and adjust the height stops. Doing that twice a year isnt too bad.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:42 am

Just echoing everyone's comments here, especially Jerry's: getting both the hard top and soft top to seal perfectly is a swine of a job, and they were a pain to get right, even when new... but with 20 year old rubber seals, things are just harder now (no pun intended!)