Car unsettled over bumps

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
JeremyC
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Car unsettled over bumps

Post by JeremyC » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:05 pm

My car gets unsettled over bumps, particularly if I cross the centre line or move between lanes.

Car is a 97, the right Yokohama Advans on the front, previous owner fitted Rotalla's to the rear just before I bought the car:(I had the tracking checked recently and had it set to the compromise values suggested in the table at the bottom here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspen ... acking.htm It's only done 43k miles, it is entirely possible it's never had new bushes.

My thinking would be the next thing to look at would be the rear lower arm bushes, thoughts please?

On the subject of bushes there are clearly lots of vendors out there. On other cars I have previous good experience with PolyBush and PowerFlex. I'm keen to not make the ride any firmer. On my Sprite I used PolyBush blue and was very pleased with the results but they don't do a blue version of the F bushes. I'd value opinions on the best bushes for a good ride.

Many thanks in anticipation

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Car unsettled over bumps

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:20 pm

Has the car had the hydragas spheres re-gassed? Is the ride height correct at 368mm (front) or has it been fitted with lowering pins?
I personally wouldn't run either make of tyre you mention. Toyo T1Rs are the dogs.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:43 am

I think the conventional view is that these cars should have the same brand and pattern of tyre on the front and rear.
My son has Yokohama Advan 701's on his Toyota MR2 which has the same front/rear combo as the F, and he drives away from the pack on the club runs.

So my concern is that your car has different grip levels front and rear if the tread wear rating of the tyres is a lot different;
so you could be chasing an issue that's not in the bushes.

By all means replace the lower arm bushes, I have done front and rear on my car in last 12 months to keep it running straight.

Start with the easy things first.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am

I'm with Rob - have a thought about changing the rear tyres (or replacing all four at the same time): squirrely handing often results from mismatched front/ rear tyres on mid-engined cars.

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 am

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Ride height is OK and I'm not aware of any modifications and the previous owners weren't those sort of people. I do recognise the mismatched tyres issue and the Rotalla's wouldn't have been my choice however I'm a little surprised that this effect would manifest at at lower speeds. It's not like I'm driving on the edge at a track day.

Changing tyres is much easier than fiddling round with bushes though so I suspect that's what I'll do.

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

Have you tried jacking up each corner and seeing if there’s any play in the geometry/ bushes/bearings MOT style - hold wheel at 3 & 9 o clock then 12 & 6 o block and move back and forward checking for movement.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:53 pm

Odd handling can appear very quickly and even at low speeds with mismatched tyres. It is certainly worth replacing all four.

Steve, I agree - worn rear wheel bearings can also cause untoward handling - and MGF/TF bearings don't seem to make noise when they fail (no idea why not!)

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:40 pm

Just replaced all the upper ball joints, front and back and it’s made a positive difference to the handling of my TF.

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 pm

Thanks folks, I have had a wheel waggle but I might go round again a bit more brutally.

Just done my tax return and I've got a couple of hundred coming back so I might spend that on two Yokohama for the rear to match the six month old ones at the front.

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:16 pm

OK, splashed out on a couple of Yokohamas to match the front, and based on a ten minute test drive the car's poise is much better. I have an Autosolo at the weekend so that will be the acid test.

Thanks for your contributions to the thread.

Jeremy

JeremyC

Post by JeremyC » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:14 pm

Acid test passed, car handled beautifully on dreadful West Sussex roads and the billiard smooth Goodwood circuit. I just want slightly better turn in now. :)