Cam/Timing Belt change reminder

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Cam/Timing Belt change reminder

Post by plrobbo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 am

WOW! Thought I'd post my findings on this subject.
My car is a 2004 MGTF Coupe LE covered only 15,850 kilometers - BUT - is now 4.5 years old from manufacture. So, I thought, with only these low k's covered, do I carry out a Cam/Timing Belt change now or not???
Well, I decided to do it and just as well I did, because I found the following; 1. The Cam Belt was very hard and had small cracks in it. 2. The Alternator/airconditioner belt was very cracked as well & could've gone 'walkabout' any time .
Moral of this 'short story' is; carry out your Cam/Timing Belt change on TIME and NOT mileage/kilometers & use a well known trusted brand. Who knows what was used in my car at manufacture??
Cheers Robbo 'Downunder' WA
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Cam/Timing Belt change reminder

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 am

Yes you were right to change the belt, the cam belt change time for the TF was reduced to 4 years from the F's 5 years although it's not unusual to find cracks on cam belts after only a shot period of time. Not sure the original manufacture was of the belts, it probably changed from time-to-time in any case. It's the alternator belt that is deadly, if this snaps then it can take the cam belt with it.

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Being too old/idle to do it myself, any typical quotes for replacement of cam and alternator belts, my TF has just passed its 4th birthday and although only 12000 miles , seems like a sensible precaution. Are there any other bits and pieces (pulleys etc) that should be changed at the same time?

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 pm

The belt tensioner should also be done and check the water pump, if it is weeping get it replaced at the same time. On most of the low mileage cars that I have had done the belts still look servicable BUT I have seen the damage done when ignored and the cost for peace of mind is low compared to having to repair and replace a damaged head and valves.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 pm

mike satur has a kit for the cam belt bolts as he says they can shear £10 i think. having said that u can go to your local hardware shop and buy two s/steel ones and lock tight them as this seems to be all that the kit is. :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:53 pm

I bought my 2004 TF 160 in November with 23000 miles on the clock.

Shortly after I took it to Steve McKie in Chesterfield for a four year service.

He didn't report on the state of the cam belts - but he did replace the alternator drive belt which was near to breaking, the belt tensioners and the water pump which was starting to weep.

This bears out what has been said earlier and reinforces the importance of these major services ...

plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Post by plrobbo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 pm

It must be kept in mind - that the 'uprated' cam bolts (2 for standard f/tf - 4 for the 160) are made from HIGH TENSILE steel and must not be confused with anything else ie stainless steel is a no no.
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.