My question

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
NelsonJames
MGF Register Region: United States of America

My question

Post by NelsonJames » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:47 am

I have a few questions before proceeding. I've owned a 1996 1.8i since 1998, and following a coolant hose failure and a brief overheat, I'm replacing the head gasket preventively. I've obtained a reconditioned TF135 head with valves and camshafts, hoping to enhance performance for track days. First question: Does this modification make the car too rough at low rpms without upgrading the ECU, or is it manageable? Secondly, as it requires an adapter for the distributor drive, how is this done? I can't find a detailed description, just people mentioning it's not an issue.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: My question

Post by RobboMC » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 am

Camshaft bush.JPG
The J31/J32 engine has a bush on the end of the inlet camshaft that drives the distributor. Then the rotor button is pressed on by hand.

What I can't tell you is if the bush will press straight onto the 135 camshaft or if some machining will be needed.

As for driving 135 performance with MEMS1.9 I think Rob is getting around 130 PS but has found a way to get MEMS1.9 to put in a
little but more fuel. From the power curves I've seen over the years I'd be more worried about it getting too lean at high revs.

Also if I remember correctly the 135 has a higher redline than the 120 engine and some of the extra power comes from that.

You might look at a larger throttle body and different exhaust to help the increase in power. I understand changes from 120 to 135 cars were not limited to the camshafts.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: My question

Post by Notanumber » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 am

It sounds like you have the early version of the 120 engine that has a distributor. It would be worth reading up to assess if more practical to change over to the later distributor less setup as an alternative to doing machining. It can all be done with second hand parts from the usual favoured vendors to control costs. Once you have replicated a standard 135 TF setup you will then have the option to remap the later ECU for a bit more oomh