Wheel nuts?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Wheel nuts?

Post by GJO » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:32 am

One of my pet hates is the trend in recent decades to embellish wheel nuts with a thin layer of shiny metal. The MGF/TF wheel nuts have these embellishments as does our VX Ampera (European version of the GM Volt). The thin top layer is quickly distorted during the first wheel change and, for that reason, I sought an alternative. Febi Bilstein manufacture proper solid wheel nuts that appear to fit. They can be purchased directly from Germany here:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/febi-bilstein/7896463

I have fitted these to my Ampera - they are dimensionally identical to the original MGF/TF fitting.

OK - they are not shiny but they are solid and will last for the life of the car - something that could not be said for those fitted as original equipment.

My practice is to give these wheel nuts a light coating of Dinitrol ML so that they remain as good as new.

For those who prefer a shiny finish, Mike Satur can provide these:
https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/-MGF-and-MG ... Wheel-Nuts
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Wheel nuts?

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:34 pm

The proper nuts are the original MGR as they have the floating cone as this aligns the thread of the bolt. This stops the bolt being side loaded to locate the cone in the wheel with the solid nut. Bin the supplied spanner. Buy a Quality 1/2 inch drive socket from Snap -On and a 18 inch Breaker Bar. Assemble using a Torque Wrench
My nut covers are still in good condition after 2 changes a year to swop summer and winter tyres for 23 years.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:45 pm

Echo what Geoff.F says above.

My 02 TF wheel nuts are absolutely fine. I only use 6 point sockets, as 12 point sockets only work on the corners of the fastener, and wrinkle up the thin S/S covers.
I know 12 point sockets are the norm, and more convenient to get fitment in tight locations, but good "old fashioned" 6 point sockets are so much "kinder" to hexagon fastenings :roll: All the impact sockets I've seen are 6 point as well.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:41 am

I now only ever use a 6 point tool on the wheel nuts of any car.

I have a 21 mm impact socket in the back of my Captiva, and of course use a 6 point socket and torque wrench in the F

Even so, I always have 4 new wheel nuts in the cupboard and have pretty much replaced the entire set over the last 10 years.
MGF wheel nuts are made of cheese, just learn to live with it.

I also do a major amount of wheel changing throughout a year to do track days, I have a set of Falkan's for the road and a set of 008R's for the track.
:)