MGF Trophy 160 Clock Query

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Adrian.mg
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

MGF Trophy 160 Clock Query

Post by Adrian.mg » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:20 pm

MGF Trophy VIN 1D526486 reg July 2002.
I have to get behind the centre console to fit the low coolant warning light and buzzer and the HRW switch/relay kit, so I thought to replace the erratic clock while I was at it. However, I have not been able to locate a suitable replacement clock (YFB100450), so I wondered if anyone knows of a source for this item, or whether there is a way to fit the TF one (YFB000420), or the early F one (YFB100420), or if there is someone who refurbishes the original.
All help greatly appreciated. AB

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: MGF Trophy 160 Clock Query

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:06 pm

I think it's unlikely that you will find a new clock, so a good used one is probably the best option. As far as I can recall the connections are teh same on an F and TF clock.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:40 pm

B&G possibly have YFB100450 in stock.
https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mgf-m ... -yfb100450

I have a spare, slow running YFB100420 that I would like to have repaired and I have collected a bunch of information, which is contained in the attachment. Basically, YFB100420 and YFB100450 look extremely similar to the clock that was used in the late MGB, all of which were manufactured by VDO. There is a clock repair thread on the MG Experience, where it refers to a thread on a Porsche site, where the clock being repaired is identical for the MGB's VDO clock.
MGB VDO Clock Repair.pdf
(600.9 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Mark

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:00 pm

I bought a spare YFB100420 in case i ever needed it for my TF and just compared it to the clock in my 1979 MGB. They dont look immediately similar, on the face of it (pardon the pun).

Aside from the clock face difference the casings are a different material and style, the connections and the bezel are different. The B clock has a visible adjuster at the half past position rather than the MGF /TF's semi hidden adjuster at the quarter to mark.

Are there similarities inside the mechanism though that would feasibly one to be used to repair the other (I cant adjust the time on my B's clock and they are more expensive to get hold of than the F/ TF clocks) .