Hydragas

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
alan@bessell.com
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Hydragas

Post by alan@bessell.com » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:34 pm

As a newbie I’ve been very grateful for much excellent advice on multiple topics for which have been of immense use.
On hydragas replacement I’ve looked but don’t see any similar advice.
We know the 368mm ride height measurement (temp correction aside). However can I suggest that rather than guess the centre of the wheel, using the upper lip of the MG badge hub as a reference point. guessing the centre point introduces unnecessary error. Simply subtract the badge radius i.e. half the diameter. Also the height is a vertical measurement to the wheel arch, not at an off vertical angle as I’ve seen in some pictures/videos.
To anybody near PL15 - I have a Kennedy pump you can use here.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Hydragas

Post by RobboMC » Thu May 02, 2024 3:23 am

In my humble opinion that's shared by one very respected MG mechanic down here ( not a dealer though ) it's not that much of an exact measurement.

Yes you can measure it to the last millimeter, but 368 at the front looks a bit odd to me, like a monster truck that shrunk.

This mechanic ( actually a panel beater by trade ) I mentioned never uses a ruler, he just pumped them up until the car 'looked nice' .
Customers were happy, cars drove nicely, and they came back for another service next year.

So if your car is above 350/355 mm and it drives well then be happy and fix something else :lol: :lol: :lol:

As ever, this advice is my own opinion and I expect others will disagree.
And surely we should be saying 14-1/2 inches !!!!

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu May 02, 2024 11:15 am

The height correction is only relevant if the hydragas spheres are in good order and haven't lost their nitrogen. If the spheres have gone (and they usually have by 15-20 years) then any amount of pumping won't make a difference to ride quality.

alan@bessell.com
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by alan@bessell.com » Wed May 08, 2024 10:25 pm

RobboMC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:23 am
In my humble opinion that's shared by one very respected MG mechanic down here ( not a dealer though ) it's not that much of an exact measurement.

Yes you can measure it to the last millimeter, but 368 at the front looks a bit odd to me, like a monster truck that shrunk.

This mechanic ( actually a panel beater by trade ) I mentioned never uses a ruler, he just pumped them up until the car 'looked nice' .
Customers were happy, cars drove nicely, and they came back for another service next year.

So if your car is above 350/355 mm and it drives well then be happy and fix something else :lol: :lol: :lol:

As ever, this advice is my own opinion and I expect others will disagree.
And surely we should be saying 14-1/2 inches !!!!
You’re right of course - just me being my pedantic self.