day running lights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

day running lights

Post by Fletch29 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 pm

Has anybody tried fitting Audi R8 type LED day running lights. I have been using Volvos for years with day running lights, but a black TF is not too obvious to other road users it seems. I thought the LEDs might be a cheepish (e bay) solution.
Comments?

Patrick
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: Jaguar I Pace

Re: day running lights

Post by Patrick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 am

Well I am pretty certain that all MGFs were equipped with headlights when they left the factory. True, you have to turn these on and off manually and I accept some might find these hard work but I suggest it is best to this consider additional workload as part of the additional driving experience of in owning a sports car!

On a more serious note, the lighting is covered by all sorts of regulations and approvals. I suspect doing your own modifications to this area is only inviting unwanted attention from the Police and MoT inspectors.

On an even more serious note, why are more and more people driving around with their headlights on in broad daylight, particularly mums driving their little brats around in 4x4s and people carriers – do they thing we will not see them without the headlights?

Paul H
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 2001 VVC

Re: day running lights

Post by Paul H » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:53 pm

i too have thought about this, but the aftermarket LED's from ebay aren't quite man enough for the job
you just cant see them in daylight,if you can source the genuine Audi or Aston ones you might be ok, but im thinking
the cost of these will rule them out,
ultraleds.co.uk might have some better ones (got my sidelight ones from there and they are better than a normal bulb)
as for mot and law implications i dont think the audi ones are type approved anyway and theres plenty of them about
so i would give it a try anyway, and when was the last time you saw a copper not behind a camera? :evil:
good luck and keep us updated
Paul