Standard TF Suspension Settings

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Re: Standard TF Suspension Settings

Post by plrobbo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Pete and all - many thanks for your help on this one. Yes, I'd say you are correct, that I have STD suspension. At least I know where I'm going now in obtaining the correct wheel alignments etc. Cheers Peter. :D
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

plrobbo

Post by plrobbo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:57 am

Hi folks - well, indeed my problem is solvered! I was under the impression that my car had the 'Sports' suspension ie lowered. Now I know it isn't - a bit of a blow, but when I obtain my Bilstein Comfort Ride Kit I may use it to lower the car - depending on the ride of course. Anyway, many thanks for those that hepled me on this one & Debs for posting all the settings. Cheers Peter. :)
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

plrobbo

Post by plrobbo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:34 am

Well, thanks to you all for bearing with me on this one.
Not all TF owners are as thick as I am!!!!
A good outcome then, as I nhow know that my car has 'Standard suspension'.
Cheers & thanks - Robbo.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:24 pm

For some while now I have been interested in the standard suspension on the TF against other options (Sports Packs and lowered).

On my TF135 80LE I assume I have standard suspension, it's hard to tell as they come with a chrome pack as standard (therefore I'm not sure about sports pack fitments of any variety). I don't want to lower it because it won't look the same and from what I've heard, the ride is compromised and not comfortable (we do long distances and we are often in the car all day for several days when abroad) so comfort is important.

Therefore I assumed that the TF160 80LE will be lower (10mm/20mm who knows ?) so at the Pride of Longbridge rally I checked a TF160 80LE and it was higher. My car sits at 34.5mm front and 35mm rear (distance taken from the centre of the hub cap to the bottom lip of the wheel arch). As I only had fingers to use at Longbridge the 160 sat at three fingers as opposed to mine that had two between the tyre and the wheel arch, therefore it seems that the 160 was 20mm higher.

Can anybody understand this ?

A set of Bilstein's are going on next week set at the middle position, I'll take more measurements and report back but it's a mystery to me that's for sure.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sun May 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Adrian. I've had the Bilsteins on for some time now - the best thing we've done to the car in nearly six years.

As I understand it, the top Bilstein setting corresponds to OEM ride height (whatever that might be :roll: ) and gives the optimum comfort setting, as otherwise the damper piston runs out of travel and the bump stops limit suspension travel with undesireable effects on the handling.

Certainly on the top setting, our car looks fine and certainly has not yet bottomed out with some pretty brisk driving on Welsh mountain roads ;)

Not answered your question really, but perhaps a little help? Ring VHS and have a chat.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

veterancharger
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by veterancharger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:38 am

Debs,

I am new to this forum. I have a question about the Standard TF suspension settings. My car is a 2003 TF Sprint 135 which i have owned for 14 months. I have just had all four discs, pads, front wheel bearings and hubs replaced (the hubs were buckled) to cure vibration when braking. The garage performing the work (Oselli in Witney) have recommended I get a laser 4 wheel alignment check since there is wear to the outside shoulder of n/s front tyre (only 4000 miles from new) and following the work my steering wheel is rotated slightly to the right when driving straight ahead.
I would just like to check the settings you posted on 16th April 2009 apply to my car before rushing off to get the check done. Thanks David :?

petevick
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by petevick » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 am

Welcome David.
as long as it has standard dampers and springs fitted, then the settings are correct for your TF. Laser aligning kit will have al the settings pre programmed anyway.
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

DimTF160+
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by DimTF160+ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:13 pm

According to this link http://www.nitron.co.uk/products_design.htm ,if you choose the 1-way NTR sport option,you can 'build' shocks on your own specs.Does anyone have in mind or have a comparison table with tecnical data and dimensions of TF's coilovers?

I know that GAZ sells a bolt on kit for TFs but I would like to find something better than this.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm

adrianclifford wrote:For some while now I have been interested in the standard suspension on the TF against other options (Sports Packs and lowered).

On my TF135 80LE I assume I have standard suspension, it's hard to tell as they come with a chrome pack as standard (therefore I'm not sure about sports pack fitments of any variety). I don't want to lower it because it won't look the same and from what I've heard, the ride is compromised and not comfortable (we do long distances and we are often in the car all day for several days when abroad) so comfort is important.

Therefore I assumed that the TF160 80LE will be lower (10mm/20mm who knows ?) so at the Pride of Longbridge rally I checked a TF160 80LE and it was higher. My car sits at 34.5mm front and 35mm rear (distance taken from the centre of the hub cap to the bottom lip of the wheel arch). As I only had fingers to use at Longbridge the 160 sat at three fingers as opposed to mine that had two between the tyre and the wheel arch, therefore it seems that the 160 was 20mm higher.

Can anybody understand this ?

A set of Bilstein's are going on next week set at the middle position, I'll take more measurements and report back but it's a mystery to me that's for sure.
Sounds as though your car benefited from being fitted with Sports Pack 1 Adrian :)

How's it now with the Bilsteins fitted?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Rob, just caught up with this. With the Bilsteins the change is amazing, it really does transform the car, I wonder what sort of reviews the cars would have received if these had been fitted from factory. It's not only the ride comfort (ie damping effect) but the car feels so much more precise and gives great confidence, for example, when being pushed hard in to a corner on a mountain road. On the Monthléry circuit last year the car just felt so good.

The ride height, on the middle setting, has not changed but I have not experimented with the other two positions as the shock absorbers have to be removed from the car to re-adjust, they cannot be done in-situ :cry: .

Does anybody have these on a different setting, what's the verdict and the ride height of your car ?

I'll add, I've just been out with Dave Tynan in his new 2005 TF160 with the factory comfort pack, that's not bad at all, much better than the standard TF.

Another thing I'm interested in is the spring ratings, which I assume differ as they are marked with a paint blob. I have blue, anybody else have different ?, if so what TF is it ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Adrian.

I've got an early 2002 TF 135 as you know, it has blue springs on the front

and red on the back

Both front and back are on the top setting which gives OEM ride height, and hence maximum bounce and rebound suspension travel. VHS advise the top setting for maximum effect, otherwise bottoming can occur on major yumps which might unsettle the car on a fast bend. Andy Kitson told me that the dampers were designed around early TF spring rates to get rid of the bone jarring ride.I've no idea what the spring rates are for these MG-Rover springs :roll:

I've Polybushed throughout and the resultant ride is comparable with a "new" TF - silent, crash free, solid feeling.
I'm not bothered about a "lowered" look, more how it handles on the road ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi Jerry, of course, I know your car quite well as you know. However I'm intrigued as I thought your car sat quite low if I remember correctly from the last time I saw it (and you). As you are on different springs (I'm blue all round) and you are on the highest setting, what is your ride height ?

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Adrian, a bit confused. My ride height is about 345mm, but I'll need to check again as I park on a steep downhill drive :roll: Looks like I'm running "sports" suspension ride heights, although I don't know why. You may be right in that our car looks lower than normal, but I'm on OEM springs, and VHS assure me the top setting is standard ride height.
It could be the weight of Waxoyl though :)

The workshop manual quotes blue for the front, and red for the rears by the way.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:51 pm

hmm, when I get Pearl back from the paint shop I'll check my rear spring colours, I thought they were both blue and I'm definitely on the middle setting.

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 am

I will check mine tonight...
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks Aussie, I'm still intrigued by this, there's enough TF owners on here to answer the questions or maybe there is no real answer, just more questions.

I'll add the front now sits at 34cm front and 34.5cm's rear so it's 0.5 cm lower all round with the Bilstein shocks than standard OEM.

Jerry, did Andy Kitson ever tell you why they give three settings as they appear to recommend the highest setting. I guess it could be to lower racers maybe ?, again I guess the lowest setting will drop the car by a further 0.5cm, is that true ?.

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 am

Does anyone have the optimal geometry for the 85th Edition with the Bilsteins, softer springs and Eibach ARBs?

Thanks

Jon

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:51 am

Optimal geometry ??

As far as I'm aware (I have the full technical specs for the 85th buried somewhere) the springs are standard TF135 (standard for the SAIC version), the Bilsteins will drop the car, if they are on the middle setting, by 5mm (as has been mentioned earlier), what settings are yours on (high, middle or low) ? The high appear not to affect the ride height, the lowest should (to be confirmed) drop it by 10mm.

I doubt the ARB change will affect ride height or geometry, they have a firmer control of the yaw motion (hence the term anti-roll bar).

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 am

Tracking settings is what I was after really - I'm running VHS on standard springs on the middle platform, but I'm picking up some softer springs to try in a few weeks time and wasn't sure if the tracking settings would be the same.

Thanks for the info.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 am

adrianclifford wrote:Thanks Aussie, I'm still intrigued by this, there's enough TF owners on here to answer the questions or maybe there is no real answer, just more questions.

I'll add the front now sits at 34cm front and 34.5cm's rear so it's 0.5 cm lower all round with the Bilstein shocks than standard OEM.

Jerry, did Andy Kitson ever tell you why they give three settings as they appear to recommend the highest setting. I guess it could be to lower racers maybe ?, again I guess the lowest setting will drop the car by a further 0.5cm, is that true ?.
Hi Adrian - just spotted this :roll:

Andy recommends the highest setting as supplied on OEM 2002 MY springs to give, as far as possible, the original ride height, and, more importantly, sufficient damper travel up and down to prevent bottoming out by running out of damper travel. If the damper runs out of travel by say lowering, the effect will be similar to hitting the bump stops, stopping any further suspension travel and potentially affecting grip on the road in challenging circumstances.

I'm on the highest settings, and as we measured the car at Silverstone it seemed pretty normal height, although your recollection of our car was that it was lower (it must be the XPG paint ;) )

VHS say that each lower circlip groove will give a 10cm lower ride height of the vehicle, so the middle groove will equate to the ride height of a TF sport.

My personal opinion is that "lowering" is only really a visual thing on most "normal" cars. The % gain in reduction of the CoG in an already low car is minimal, but is greatly offset by the risk of limiting the damper travel. The range of damper travel is optimised for the highest setting.

I have no experience of other springs, as obviously they may have different settled vehicle ride heights, and subsequent affect on the fixed damper travel limits.

ps: the part numbers here will identify OEM standard/sport suspension types, affected by the different positioning of the lower spring pan on the damper body. The numbers are stamped on the damper body below the spring seat.

Setting-------------Standard----------------------Sport
Front---------------RND 000270-------------------RND 000700
Rear----------------RPD 000251-------------------RPD 000261
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k