jeeeez

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Mr bennett
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 98 vvc

jeeeez

Post by Mr bennett » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:46 pm

jeezus christ ive just has my rear control arms replaced and four new tyres
ouch!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
guess how much folks :cry: :cry: :cry:

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Re: jeeeez

Post by Andrew Regens » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 am

GBP550.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Mr bennett

Post by Mr bennett » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:25 am

close Andrew very close

i cannot belive how much those control arms are!! why is this, are they in demand!??

Plus i have replaced the rock hard conti death tyre with some toyos 185s on the front and 205s on the rear , some folks recommend 195s on the front ive gone for 185s is this wise?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 am

MGRover recommended 195's rather than 185's, I guess they know best. I don't know of anybody trying 185's so maybe your views would be interesting.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by gwp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:03 am

If I remeber correctly mine has 185 on the front and 205 on the back, these are the original 15" VVC wheels. As far as I know these are the tyre sizes that were originally fitted on the car - 1998 model.
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Ah Graham, you could be correct there, I forgot about 15" wheels, originally my F had those but I changed them to 205's all round soon after I bought it, then on to 17's.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:34 pm

The difference between the 185s and the 195s for the 15" rim is aspect ratio - the 185 is a 55% aspect ratio tyre whereas the 195 is a 50% aspect ratio, the same as the rear 205-50 x 15" - their diameter is the same, although the 195 is 10mm wider.

To be honest I have noticed an improvement in handling since changing to the 195s on the front - they turn in a lot better. May be due to the softer compound, but the lower aspect and slightly wider footprint must help a bit too.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Mr bennett wrote:close Andrew very close

i cannot belive how much those control arms are!! why is this, are they in demand!??

Plus i have replaced the rock hard conti death tyre with some toyos 185s on the front and 205s on the rear , some folks recommend 195s on the front ive gone for 185s is this wise?
I hope you have had a four wheel alignment done at the same time. With the tyres and control arms the car should handle like a dream, so find the nice twisty MG roads, drop the roof turn up the music and have some fun.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Mr bennett

Post by Mr bennett » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Andrew Regens wrote:
Mr bennett wrote:close Andrew very close

I hope you have had a four wheel alignment done at the same time. With the tyres and control arms the car should handle like a dream, so find the nice twisty MG roads, drop the roof turn up the music and have some fun.

Yes Andy gonna take her for a long 1 over to wales on the mountain roads ,, the ride on pot hole infested English roads is so much better.
The Garage done the 4 wheel track for me so thats all in order , will give u all a verdict on the front after a good run.
time to enjoy!

Mr bennett

Post by Mr bennett » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:32 pm

oh dear i looked at the water in the header tank and around the inside lip there is brown gunk and i can see oil in the water :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: , why is it that these things go together??? :rant: ah well was gonna have the belts done anyways!!!! lol :sf: :sf:
so its double jeezus from me. another 500 hundred quid!

look on the bright side though she is 11 years old and more tlc wont go amiss.