MG TF VVC Head question

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
paul25
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

MG TF VVC Head question

Post by paul25 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi there,

New to the forum but life long MG fan (currently own a BGT, ZR and F)

Have changed timing belt on a friends TF VVC and just before I put the top cam cover back on I checked the cam timing with a mirror and noticed some cracks behind the pulleys in the head casting. The cracks appear to be in the thin areas and not the in the raised stiffening areas. (see attached pic)

Has anyone seen this before and are the cracks and early sign of failure or just cosmetic? I haven't had a VVC before so am completely new to them.

Any advice greatfully accepted!
Attachments
VVC Head.jpg
VVC Head.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 757 times

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Re: MG TF VVC Head question

Post by Andrew Regens » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Not found any cracks like that on mine. Not much use to you though.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Post by plrobbo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:00 am

Paul - did you ever find out about those cracks in your VVC cyclinder head?
Cheers Robbo.
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Post by plrobbo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi Paul - posting this again to see if you get this message - did you ever find the cause of these cracks?
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:19 pm

I am not entirely sure what we're looking at in the pictures - is this the cam seal?