Air induction???? which one????

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
PinkJay
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: 06 407SW - 03 TF 135

Air induction???? which one????

Post by PinkJay » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:19 pm

OK................I'm gonna sound like a complete pleb now but...................I want a new induction kit for my 135 TF.

I had a K&N 57i on my old F 'Cassie' but looking at getting sommut a bit different for 'Glimmer'

I've been looking at the K&N Apollo but wondered if anyone on here has one and.......well.........are there any alternatives and.........more to the point......how much??????

Suggestions please on a postcard......or a better alternative.....ON HERE!!!!

Cheers, Jay
JAY'S BABY
JAY'S NEW BABY[/b][/u]
2003 135 TF- 'Glimmer'
ImageImagejaysheppard.co.uk

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Air induction???? which one????

Post by colintf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 pm

ITG :thumbsu:

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Debs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGTF 275
Location: Cambs and Hants, and regularly driving between. Not to mention all the Race Meetings...

Post by Debs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:07 pm

The Vader/Taipan give the best flow vs filtration with the BMC CDA and ITG Maxogen coming a close second.

Apparently the Elise boys and girls rate the Hurricane although I have not tested it.

Stay away from Piper-X since it is rubbish.

K & N would be way down the list too - old technology but cheap.
NOSCAR driver (Nitrous Injected TF160)
13.851secs @ 106.71mph Standing Quarter

Priestess Race Engines: pr.engines@tiscali.co.uk

AndyG
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: ZTT 400 - 2 x ZS180

Post by AndyG » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:11 pm

ITG :thumbsu:

:)
F Trophy 160++ Now sold.
ZTT SE 400 SHM Block. "Super Brick"
ZS 180 Trophy Blue x 2
Triumph SpeedTriple 955i

plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Post by plrobbo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 am

Just to 'put a spanner in the works' - I've fitted a K & N Apollo fully enclosed cold air ducted filter. Fits in neat & tidy, but you have top make up a bracket for it. The open end of duct fits nicely in the LHS engine bay inlet duct in the side of the car - this gives plenty of good clean cold (outside) air. This filter allows plenty of air into the engine so increasing power together with a S/S Sports exhaust system. The only problem I guess is that it's a 'bummer' to take out and a 'million' nuts to undo to clean it! Cheers.
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Tested a load of these induction kits at Dave Walker's rolling road in Norfolk. Cutting a long story short, they're all pretty much of a muchness. So long as they're insulated from the engine bay heat, they'll work a treat. So get the one that suits your sense of aesthetics and pocket best. :thumbsu:

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Other then extra induction noise there is little evidence that you find any gains with a stock engine over the TF's OEM induction system.